Old Apple LaserPro 600/630.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ingenious, Aug 29, 2005.

1. ingenious macrumors 65832

Jan 13, 2004
    Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    Hi all-

Any ideas on how to get an old Apple LaserPro 600/630 to work on a 10/100BaseT network? There's a "network" port on the back, but it's definitely not 10/100BaseT CAT5... its more of a triangular shape... kind of like a four-pin firewire, but not.

Thanks for the help!

P.S. I've googled this some and haven't come up with many results, but then again, I wasn't very thorough.
  2. mkubal macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    Sometimes, man, you just have to let things go. ;)

Ok, but seriously. I remember having an old Apple Laser, not sure what the model number was, but I remember having to run it through a converter box called "AsanteTalk." Not sure if that's what you need, but I suppose it's a start.

Good luck and remember it's alright to let things go. :)
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    That's an AAUI port, and you need to find an AAUI-10BaseT adaptor.

Apple did it this way when it was no means certain whether UTP (10BaseT) or coax (10Base5) was going to be the dominant Ethernet network physical structure. Coax was finicky, with the need for terminators, and its propensity for bringing an entire network segment down if one person joggled their connector, and coax cable was stiff, hard to handle and far more expensive than twisted pair cabling. BUT: Twisted pair required a hub, and at $1000 - $2000 this was no easy pill to swallow, therefore many small networks opted for a coax daisy-chain network instead of a UTP star network. So, Apple hedged their bets by using a connector that you could then (for $75 or so for the appropriate AAUI adaptor) add your own flavour of network cabling to.

Of course, twisted pair won the day decisively, leaving Apple about a year behind the race in puting 10BaseT on the motherboard directly.

So, in your case: You need to find some AAUI-10BT adaptors. Check with used Mac dealers, Mac swap meets, eBay, and corporate or school computer liquidations.

You may find that your printer does not respond to TCP/IP printing - it may be Appletalk only. IIRC IP printing wasn't introduced until the LaserWriter 16/600. Otherwise though, as long as you have Appletalk turned on, I don't see any problem using it with OS X.
  4. mkubal macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    Did some digging, and while I don't have the answer to everything, like CanadaRAM, ;) I did find a link to printer manuals on the Apple Support site. Yours is on there I believe. i tried to read through it, but there were no pretty pictures so I lost interest quickly. :D Have fun with it though:

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    Stupid AAUI port... :rolleyes:

My Powermac 6100 has the same port, I was able to get an adaptor from here.

make sure you order one of the 10base-T adaptors (not 10base-2)