Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quicksilver77

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2005
Nova Scotia, Canada
Just got the old apple tv from a friend (160gb). I am trying to wrap my head around things and wondered if you could answer a few questions.

I have been converting my son's xvid rips of his dvd's to mp4 using handbrake. From there I copy them to my NAS and then drag and drop them into iTunes (I have copy to library turned OFF). When I synch to the Apple TV are they actually copying the mp4 file from my NAS to the Apple TV? I only want it to stream from my NAS not to the Apple TV Hard Drive. How do I make sure of this? I know iTunes must be running in this scenario.

If I do actually want some movies on the 160gb drive for "offline viewing" how do I check to make sure it is on the drive? Movies does not show up under the Apple TV in iTunes.

Also iTunes never finds artwork for the movies I have not even Toy Story as I had to go to amazon and get the jpg and then add it to the Get Info screen. Any tips on that?

Thanks

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
In iTunes, highlight the Apple TV in devices.

Select "Custom Sync" on the main settings page.

On the Films (Movies?) tab select the films you want to load on the Apple TV.

Click the Sync button and enjoy. :)

It won't automatically load artwork, try http://getvideoartwork.com for high quality images.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.