Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flipangle

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2010
Deciding which one to buy. Is there any reason to buy the new apple TV if I don't need the streaming capabilities (I already own a PS3, Tivo, and XBOX 360).

xplnusa

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2009
Idaho
Deciding which one to buy. Is there any reason to buy the new apple TV if I don't need the streaming capabilities (I already own a PS3, Tivo, and XBOX 360).

I just bought the old one today. Still playing with it but so far happy. I mainly want to have access to my iTunes stuff on my computer in the basement on the TV in the main living room. Music/Movies/Pics so this works well for me, I also like the idea that I can toss some movies/music on it and take it with me when I go out in my camper or elsewhere that I might need it...

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
They're selling the old ones on clearance for $149 I believe. The old one will at least give you both options - syncing OR streaming. Whatever you want. So I'd say go with that.

flipangle

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2010
They're selling the old ones on clearance for $149 I believe. The old one will at least give you both options - syncing OR streaming. Whatever you want. So I'd say go with that.

Where do you find that price? I want the old one since it's hackable via atv flash. I'm not sure whether the new one will be as hackable. I'm getting it mainly for the ability to play video_TS files. I have a bunch of movies ripped to that format using RipIt. I would love the ability to watch any of my rips instantly.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Where do you find that price? I want the old one since it's hackable via atv flash. I'm not sure whether the new one will be as hackable. I'm getting it mainly for the ability to play video_TS files. I have a bunch of movies ripped to that format using RipIt. I would love the ability to watch any of my rips instantly.

It's in the clearance section at the Apple Store online. I read somewhere that Bestbuy was also selling them for that, but haven't checked into it myself.

DanMacApple

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
It's in the clearance section at the Apple Store online. I read somewhere that Bestbuy was also selling them for that, but haven't checked into it myself.

Anyone find any in the stores as the website lists them as back ordered?

Seydlitz

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2009

What do you want to do with it? If it's just playing rips you should realise that the old ATV needs a Crystal HD card and a tolerance for tweaking. It will be hackage/beta software. If you can handle that it's a fun solution.

But if you want a bit more capabilities I would recommend an Atom based system or if you have the cash, a Mac mini.

RedReplicant

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
But if you want a bit more capabilities I would recommend an Atom based system or if you have the cash, a Mac mini.

Seriously, this is the way to go. Also, an Atom system will end up being very close to the price of the $420 refurb Mac Mini that shows up every now and then.

Seydlitz

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2009
Seriously, this is the way to go. Also, an Atom system will end up being very close to the price of the $420 refurb Mac Mini that shows up every now and then.

That's a bit stretching it. An Asus EB1012 would set you back 210%$ (Amazon, new). Now you would also need a MCE remote, but that should only be ±10$ (HP OEM part), so ±225-250$ should do the trick.

xplnusa

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2009
Idaho
I picked mine up at Best Buy when you're on the site it says back ordered but you can check local store avaiblity. Mine had them so I went to grab one. And yes it was $149.

CorporateFelon

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
Boston, MA
I'm sure this has been answered somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.

For the streaming aspect. Will the Apple TV only stream content from shared iTunes libraries? Or will it look for shared network drives/folders? The price discount on the old Apple TVs and a recent living situation rearrangement made me consider an Apple TV. And the answer to my question will drive my purchasing decision.

flipangle

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2010
I'm sure this has been answered somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.

For the streaming aspect. Will the Apple TV only stream content from shared iTunes libraries? Or will it look for shared network drives/folders? The price discount on the old Apple TVs and a recent living situation rearrangement made me consider an Apple TV. And the answer to my question will drive my purchasing decision.

Would appreciate an answer to this question too.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I'm having the same problem. I am really tempted to get both of them.

Anyone find any in the stores as the website lists them as back ordered?

Even though it says backordered you can click the "check availability" thing. When I did it I saw that they had it at all locations with in like 500 miles of me.

TuckBodi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007

Why buy ATV Flash (or Patchstick.ca)??? Amazes me people pay for that stuff.

And you're aware now you no longer have to hack/patchstick the old ATV to run XBMC anymore, right? They have the Crystalbuntu disk image now where you can take a 4-8gb flash drive, copy the image on it, plug it into your virgin ATV and boot directly into XBMC. Want to go back to Frontrow you simply unplug the flash drive and reboot. And this stick gives you a lot faster menu's/animations, CrystalHD support (up to 1080p), DDS fanart, Add-ons, SMB, and capability to put the plethora of cool, cool skins on it.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
For the streaming aspect. Will the Apple TV only stream content from shared iTunes libraries? Or will it look for shared network drives/folders?

You have to hack it to search network drives, though the standard Apple TV will play files from your iTunes libraries which are stored on network drives.

It's very simple to hack it and you can revert back to standard settings if you ever need to take it back under warranty.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Why buy ATV Flash (or Patchstick.ca)??? Amazes me people pay for that stuff.

And you're aware now you no longer have to hack/patchstick the old ATV to run XBMC anymore, right? They have the Crystalbuntu disk image now where you can take a 4-8gb flash drive, copy the image on it, plug it into your virgin ATV and boot directly into XBMC. Want to go back to Frontrow you simply unplug the flash drive and reboot. And this stick gives you a lot faster menu's/animations, CrystalHD support (up to 1080p), DDS fanart, Add-ons, SMB, and capability to put the plethora of cool, cool skins on it.

Whoa. Is there any other Linux/unix software for AppleTV? So it's basically like Slax Linux? And I didn't know you had to pay for atvFlash.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Just grabbed the old one at my local Apple Store for $149. The new one adds features I do not need and removes features I desire, so I went with the old one.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I have an old one and I was all hyped to get the new one when I heard it was going to be iOS based. However I thought there would be more of a drastic overhaul. Now that I see its essentially the same thing minus the storage I dont see the point aside from airplay which wont be available til november. Does anyone know if the new apple tv has an A4 processor in it? I know my current apple tv runs extremely hot and slow so that would be a reason to upgrade but I want to see if the new one will be hacked before I bother.

MacbookAlum1536

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
I have an old one and I was all hyped to get the new one when I heard it was going to be iOS based. However I thought there would be more of a drastic overhaul. Now that I see its essentially the same thing minus the storage I dont see the point aside from airplay which wont be available til november. Does anyone know if the new apple tv has an A4 processor in it? I know my current apple tv runs extremely hot and slow so that would be a reason to upgrade but I want to see if the new one will be hacked before I bother.
Here you go its under tech specs.
Imagine that:rolleyes:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/apple_tv?mco=MTM3NTM1Nzk

MacbookAlum1536

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
your so amazing. thank you for answering so many of my questions. I never stated I went hunting for that answer I assumed it was in there.
I answered the only question that I could answer correctly but if you want me to I'll take a stab at the others okay.
-Yeah it does seem to be a very similar product feature wise but the most potential for the product is in two features: Airplay and iOS as these can and probably will lead to app support on at least a streaming level.
-Again considering its running iOS in some form it will likely be jailbroken or hacked relatively quickly
And your welcome:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.