Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Just wondering, if i get a new Canon digital rebel can i use my old canon lenses on it? Any adapters available? By old i mean 10-12 years old. According to the manual it mentions it will fit a KR or CA mount. Im considering getting a 10D digital rebel cause prices are really dropping on them. any pros (if any) or cons?

geeman

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2001
At My Mac
Are your old Canon lenses autofocus? I can't be sure, but I think it was about 10-12 years ago that Canon dropped their old FD lensmount for the newer EF one. You can tell if the lenses are FD as they are (generally) heavier, have an aperture ring in addition to the focus ring and have no electrical contacts on the back.

If the old Canon lenses are FD, then there's no way of using them.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
geeman said:
If the old Canon lenses are FD, then there's no way of using them.

I use a 1971 Canon F1 & A 1980s A1 with a load of FD lenses. When it comes to upgrading to a DSLR being able to use my old lenses could be the deciding factor for what camera I get. But as i can not find any kind of FD to EF adaptor I may not go with a Canon!

geeman

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2001
At My Mac
evil_santa said:
I use a 1971 Canon F1 & A 1980s A1 with a load of FD lenses. When it comes to upgrading to a DSLR being able to use my old lenses could be the deciding factor for what camera I get. But as i can not find any kind of FD to EF adaptor I may not got with a Canon!

Luverly machines. I have a bunch of F1's and F1N's myself.

AFAIK there aren't any FD to EF adaptors. But why leave Canon? As far as I'm concerned, the images pulled off their digital cameras (both pro and consumer) are one of the best I've seen. Their DIGIC processing gubbins really works.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
geeman said:
But why leave Canon?

Im not in the market for a DSLR right now, quite happy with the IXUSii & the 35mm. But as consideration, if I could use FD lenses on a DSLR I would get a Canon. But as I can't use them, it has slowed my enthusiasm to get anything above the IXUS, I use this quite a lot. It does take very nice photos & is small enough to have with me all the time. So when it comes to that point to go DSLR i don't feel tied to Canon.

Anyway I'm a bit slow on the take up on new ideas in photography, I was using the F1 exclusively until 3 years ago, before I ventured in to the crazy world of auto exposure & motor-drive with the A1. So I might wait a while to see if this digital fad catches on before i get involved ;)

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
evil_santa said:
Im not in the market for a DSLR right now, quite happy with the IXUSii & the 35mm. But as consideration, if I could use FD lenses on a DSLR I would get a Canon. But as I can't use them, it has slowed my enthusiasm to get anything above the IXUS, I use this quite a lot. It does take very nice photos & is small enough to have with me all the time. So when it comes to that point to go DSLR i don't feel tied to Canon.

Anyway I'm a bit slow on the take up on new ideas in photography, I was using the F1 exclusively until 3 years ago, before I ventured in to the crazy world of auto exposure & motor-drive with the A1. So I might wait a while to see if this digital fad catches on before i get involved ;)

Yea. You can't use the FD lenses on a DSLR. I'm sure you can get an adapter, but you won't be able to meter with them, so what's the point? I ended up with a D2h just to take advantage of some of the older Nikkors I have (D2h allows metering of old Nikkor lenses) and i'm pretty happy so far. I know the pro canons don't do the same if only because they actually changed the lens mount.

So you're out of luck, in a sense-- you can always sell those old lenses on ebay, and put the cash towards a D70, DRebel or Pentax *ist (now THERE'S a camera that can really use old lenses--takes Pentax MF lenses! nice!)

ibilly

macrumors regular
May 2, 2003
Boulder
there aren't, and will never be any adapters because the adapter would be giant, possibly require an external power source, and degrade the image quality. There's no way thtat it could prevent itself from acting like an extension tube. There would be so many obsticles, that it would likely be cheaper and result in better image quality to go with a new lens. Don't hold your breath for an EF to FD or visa-versa adapter.

This is based on my knowledge that the FD series has a post that sticks into the camera for the aperature. I'm not sure about autofocus, BC I only have a manual lens. The adapter would have to add at least 1/4" to the mount (where it normally attatches) and have a motor for actuating the post (also about 1/4" in an arc shape), a microproscessor for converting the digital electrical signal to manual movement... See why it hasn't been done? tiny market, huge engineering challenges.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.