Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
One of my relatives has given me an old Maciontosh Cetris 650. I took out the old CD C addy drive and put in an Apple CD-ROM, The hard drive is 230mb, it also has a floppy drive! Anyway aftrer I put the CD_ROM in the computer started up, BUT the mac has to monitor ports, I put the monitor plug into the wrong port so I thought the mac wasnt working, yetr the hard drive was spinning and everything. I turned off the power switch, then i noticed that there were two monitor ports! Now when I hook it up to the other port it works fine, BUT it has the Floppy Disk Question mark icon, now I have a System 7.6.1 CD (original cd), the mac accepts the cd and starts up from it when I hold down the "C" key at startup, now when it gets to the desktop I get a bomb messege, it says something about error 41. The system 7.6.1 CD is badly scrached so this problem might be CD related. Apple says the Cetris 650 can run up to Mac OS 8.5 (wow) So I pop in a copy of my Mac OS 8 CD, the computer doesn't read it. I went to Apple.com and downloaded the PPC Disk Tools Disk for System 8.1 (I think it was 8.1 or 8) When I put in the floppy a message comes up saying "This Disk Tools disk will not work on this computer. Use the disk labeled "Disk Tools 1" Then there is a button saying "Restart" Where do I find Disk Tools Disk 1, I have looked at Apple's Older Downloads, could I have missed it? I need your help! Thanks... :D

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
UPDATE!

The mac can now read the originla OS 8 CD (ifound it :D) Now it will startup from the OS 8 CD, but it still can't find the Hard Drive, I tryed disconnecting and reconnecting the HD, but still nothing... Help!:rolleyes:

EDIT!: Some grammer corrected... :D

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: UPDATE!

Originally posted by LimeiBook86
The mac can now read the originla OS 8 CD (ifound it :D) Now it will startup from the OS 8 CD, but it still can't fin the Hard Drive, I tryed disconnecting and reconnecting the HD, but stioll nothing... Help!:rolleyes:

Update the hard drives driver using DiscUtility on the OS8 cd and tell me what happens.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
!

How can I update the Hard Drive drivers when the hard drive doesn't show up on the desktop (doesn't mount) It is not recondized at startup, thats why I use the OS 8 CD to startup from, I do have an external HD... I'll see if it will hook up and be recondized my the Cetris 650. I might have to install 8 on the external HD and then swap it with the internal, or just pop the external inside the mac and see where it goes from there...

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: !

Originally posted by LimeiBook86
How can I update the Hard Drive drivers when the hard drive doesn't show up on the desktop (doesn't mount) It is not recondized at startup, thats why I use the OS 8 CD to startup from, I do have an external HD... I'll see if it will hook up and be recondized my the Cetris 650. I might have to install 8 on the external HD and then swap it with the internal, or just pop the external inside the mac and see where it goes from there...

The computer doesn't have to recognize it to update the hard disk drivers. All that needs to happen is Disk Utility to see it on the bus.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Download a copy of SCSI Probe and put it on your external drive. Then boot from the OS 8 CD and run SCSI Probe to see if the internal drive is even recognized on the bus. Has this computer been sitting for awhile without use?

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
The computer has been sitting for months! (maybe a year) It was at my Aunts house (she perfers PCs) I just got it last week. Why do you ask?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.