Old Epson scanner help on Tiger.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bodeh6, May 19, 2005.

1. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

I have a Epson Perfection 636u scanner from 1999 and am thinking of getting a new iMac. On the Epson support page, it lists the newest driver from 1999 and says that it will work on Macintosh system 7.5 to 8.6. (here is a link

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/...&prodoid=9923&infoType=Downloads&platform=All
    ).

Any chance of this working on Tiger? I don't see myself buying a new scanner because I use it just a few times per year.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't know what the difference is between a 636 and a 636U, but the 636 is listed as having built-in support under OS X (here). Which should just mean you can plug it in, and you will not need drivers. The page still says 10.3, but I seriously doubt it was removed in 10.4.

3. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

Good question, I pretty much asked the same question yesterday when my old Epson Color Stylus 860 didn't work on Tiger. I highly recommend http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/ It works great with older hardware and Tiger.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The GIMP-Print people do scanner drivers now? Sweet. Where on the website is the scanner section? I couldn't find it. :(

5. TwoPynts macrumors newbie

TwoPynts

Great little scanner. If you haven't got it working yet, you could try using VueScan by Hamrick. It's great scanning software and supports boatloads of scanners, up to OSX 10.5.x. It was the only thing that got my old 836XL working in my '07 iMac with Leopard.

EDIT: Oops, sorry, didn't realize this thread was from '05. Dang those Google searches! ;)