Old folding scripts work in Tiger

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by mc68k, Apr 28, 2005.

1. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

just confirmed this with both the dual and single processor versions of the script :)

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Thanks.. I will be converting 2 computers on Sunday!!

3. lssmit02 macrumors 6502

Will we see any boost to F@H in Tiger?

Is it possible we'll see a performance boost on G5 machines running Tiger? Here's a quote from Apple's Tiger Developer link:

Link (quoted language at the bottom of page).

What made me think of this was the increase in Doom 3's performance under Tiger, at least according to barefeats.com's Tiger Shootout, which quoted the above language.

4. mc68k thread starter macrumors 68000

mc68k

well if u have a fast machine with a fast video card, tiger's new technologies should take less CPU and more GPU, leaving more cycles for folding

other than that i have no idea

5. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I guess we will have to use our old weekly output as a control, and see if our new numbers go up due to the OS Change.

However, now that I have Tiger loaded on my G5, it is now (as of 1 hour ago) my Primary macintosh, and my B&W is now retired to a simple itunes server.

So I really won't be able to compare my output with my prior numbers.

6. mc68k thread starter macrumors 68000

mc68k

im pretty sure most of our output as a team comes from PCs. but if u mean on an individual level i would be curious to see if it makes a significant difference. there's prob too many user and system variables to attribute a change to just the OS

7. lssmit02 macrumors 6502

Best comparison would be same protein, before and after update to Tiger. Unfortunately, you can't determine what you'll be getting.

I posted the question on the official Mac client folding forum. We'll see if anyone from Stanford reads it and replies.

8. lssmit02 macrumors 6502

How to compare folding under Tiger and Panther ...

Here's what was suggested on the folding site:
    Now, I can't afford to go purchase a second G5 just for the purposes of comparing folding in Tiger and Panther :D However, I could download the wu, copy it to a USB drive, run it in Panther, upgrade to Tiger, then run it again. All I need to know is what files to copy - Just the ones in the "work" folder?