Old G3 Clamshell

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Lopez.T.H., Aug 14, 2005.

1. Lopez.T.H. macrumors regular

I love the look of the old G3 Clamshells. But I have been advised not to get one on many occasions. Well I guess Im trying to say Apple should make a special Retro Clamshell design with new G4 technology in it.

2. sambo. macrumors regular

sambo.

my two cents...

my mum has one of the 266/G3 clamshell iBooks.
    nice machine, and the best bit about them: they are TOUGH. that is one solid design, great for skoolkids.
    that iBook has been well cared for, but has still seen some pretty impressive knocks. including the old "toddler & the powercord off the table". it hasn't skipped a beat, except the battery died not so long ago. mum wants to get a new battery, i rekon just live with it fir another year and get a discounted TiBook when the new macintels arrive.
    yuh, a G4 powered clamshell, i might buy one of those. they look kinda poncy, but they are tough. :)

3. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I love my old Clamshell iBook, Its the 366 Firewire I still used it as a everyday untill i got my new Powerbook G4. I let my 14 year old brother have the iBook and he loves it. I put Tiger on it and it runs like a champ.

4. Lopez.T.H. thread starter macrumors regular

wow nice. So if I wanted to get a clamshell I could put tiger on it and it will run fine. But the 12'' G4 iBooks' casing is made out of polycarbonate. (bulletproof glass materal). $300 to $550 isnt bad for one of those old iBooks.. Right?

5. carlos700 macrumors regular

Two concerns: Get the fastest model (466MHz G3 with DVD) and the Screen tops out at 800 x 600 so Tiger might look a little squeezed.

6. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

I gush about how well mine runs Tiger. They're really great machines, and as I've noted before in other threads, the performance difference (from my G4 iBook 1GHz) for webbing/mail/word processing is really minimal. Plus you can always scamper off to Linux if you get bored, since the old Airport is usable with Linux.

7. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

The screen does look really big at 800x600 compared to my Powerbooks 1024x768 iLife will not even install at 800x600 But, Tiger still looks good on it, expose and dashboard are not as exciting to look at like my Powerbook but it still works. Installing Tiger was really easy even without a DVD drive, Target Disk Mode all the way. Just remember MAX out the RAM!