Old G4 dual 800mhz, or new 1gig dual

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by russiver, Feb 1, 2002.

  1. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2002
    #1
    I'm a PC user converting to my first mac and would like to get a power platform on which to build. The question is do I opt for one of the few remaining G4 dual 800's, available at heavy discount, or, opt for the new 1 Gig dual.
    With the introduction of the G5 seemingly less than a year away the 800 dual would seem to offer excellent value. Can anyone convince me otherwise?
     
  2. macrumors 65816

    evildead

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2001
    Location:
    WestCost, USA
    #2
    your probably right

    The G5 is going to be a MAJOR upgrade... I wouldnt go out and spend too much on a Mac now. The G5 is going to support DDR, USB2.0, FireWire2.0, faster bus, etc... plus the CPU. I wouldn't spend too much money now...


    btw... congrats on becomming a Mac user. One more convert!!!
     
  3. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2001
    Location:
    Miami Beach
    #3
    how much is enough?

    you have to ask you when enough is enough. I will get the dual 1GHZ now. Its so blazing fast from my workflow that there is no need later again to upgrade to a G5.

    I mean. For print and web it really ain't matter anymore. May be for video i would get the cheaper one and later stock up.
     
  4. macrumors 68020

    Beej

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2002
    Location:
    Buffy's bedroom
    #4
    I guess it would depend on the price... what can you get the dual 800 for?
     
  5. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2001
    Location:
    CA
    #5
    When was the last MAJOR (ie dramatic) performance increase? Never... G3 to G4 with just about none available, about a 20% clock speed improvement...
    To go from 1.0 to 1.6 Ghz, a 60% jump: everybody talked as if it were the obvious thing in early Jan. HA! Mark this: It will not happen! If history is a guide...a G5 will at most be a 1.4 and likely be bumped to $3500 again. So a Dual 1 is probably fine to jump in with as speeds will always (graadduuaallyy)
    get better.
     
  6. macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2002
    Location:
    South Pole
    #6
    Forget the G5

    Its gonna cost a bundle!

    I am in the same boat and here is my plan:

    Find a good deal on an DP 800. Use the money saved to fill it with Ram and a couple more drives. Swap out the video card for a Radeon 8500.
     
  7. macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2002
    Location:
    South Pole
    #7
    Plus, resale value

    Macs hold their value. If you decide to upgrade this fall, you will get top dollar for your DP.

    Check our eBay - where idiots buy used DP machines for more $$$ than a new one costs.
     
  8. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2002
    #8
    Thanks for the replies. It would seem opion is 50/50 split. Dual 800's in the Uk are now very thin on the ground with the remaining few being sold off for around £2150 ($3000). Taking the point that macs are a bit like Mercdedes benz in terms of depreciation, think I'll opt for the dual 1 gig which hopefully will serve me well into the future.
    Still hope the G5 when released is revolutionary, further swinging the scales in the Mac/PC battle.
     
  9. macrumors 601

    AlphaTech

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2001
    Location:
    Natick, MA
    #9
    How about spending a bit less and get the G4 933MHz model?? opt down to the Radeon card (save a few $$) and then use the money you saved to increase the memory, get a Radeon 8500 video card, and as many hard drives as you want.

    I will probably be getting a new Mac tower after MWNY this year, and will go for the fastest single processor and then 'tweak' it.
     

Share This Page