Old G4 Mac stuck on Firewire

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by blix, Sep 21, 2005.

1. blix macrumors newbie

Hi there

I have an old G4 mac and have recently installed Tiger. Yesterday my friend transfered some files using the firewire cable onto mac ibook. All good, i ve done it before no problems. This time i get home and my screen is stuck on teh firewire mode. So i restart, goes back to firewire screen, try to start up off installer disc, back to firewire screen. What am i missing here? is it really simple. Please help :confused:

2. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

try holding the shift key when you hear the boot sound and keep it pressed to boot up without the extentions and remove the files you added

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Try holding Cmd-Opt-P-R at the startup tone, and let it chime twice. If that doesn't work, try Cmd-Opt-O-F and see whether it drops you into Open Firmware.

4. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

if the cmd-opt-o-f does work type in set-defaults press enter then type in reset-all press enter

oops forgot to say try to reset the pram thanks Nermal :D

5. blix thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your suggestions, it turns out that after i installed Tiger i didnt update the firmware for my keyboard so it wouldnt work with any of the usual commands. I just ended up going into the G4 and resetting the pram manually and that worked, thank god.
    thank you!

6. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

That would work perfect if he had Mac OS 9! :D

7. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

oh crap then what do u do to bypass all the extentions on osx on startup or do u just repair permishions