1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Old-ish iBook G4, how best to strip it and turn it into a speedy web/text device?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kisskisskiss, Mar 5, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

I have an old iBook G4 (1.2 GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD) that is quite slow but physically in great condition. I want to strip all the unnecessary crap off it, leaving just what's necessary and Firefox/Safari, Adium, SlingPlayer, TextEdit (OK, I guess I'm leaving one unnecessary item on it) and making it as fast as possible, as my newer MacBook Pro is working fine as my "main" computer and I mostly just want a secondary road machine to tote around. Should I just do a complete reinstall of Leopard on it or is there a better way to retain what I do already want before using the nuclear option?

2. macrumors 6502a

Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

(I'd put tiger on it though)

3. macrumors 68000

JesterJJZ

Well if you want speed maybe you should consider installing Tiger or even Panther on it as those will run faster than Leopard on your machine.

4. macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I have the same iBook and it runs faster with a clean install of 10.5 then it did with tiger.
    So yes do a fresh install and just keep the programs you want and perhaps install a 1 ghz ram module in it.
    My son uses it every day for web, email, homework and playing his star wars and other games.

5. macrumors member

eldino

Fresh install + a checkup of the disk with DiskWarrior. It did miracles on my iBook 1.33.