old mac se

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by kingvandal, Mar 17, 2004.

1. kingvandal macrumors newbie

found this old mac se and it still works. but when it boots it is looking for a floppy disk. I am a windows guy so this is all new to me. I know that mac requires a system disk (i think ) :confused: . I do not have one of these. How do I make one or find one? thx for the help in advance.

Rich

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

3. kingvandal thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup flashingt the disk with ? in the center. Not sure if it is dead or not. With the download can I make .bin inside of windows? I have no other macs.

thx

4. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

The flashing question mark doesnt mean its dead. It just means that there is no OS in the HD. how much memoery does it have? If it has 4mb feel free to install Os 7.1 on it. But if it has less than that put Mac Os 6.0.8 or whatever the last 6 system was.

Can you format Mac floppies on Windows? Your SE might have the 800k floopy reader or the 'Superdrive" 1.44mbs floppy reader. Most of them are 800k so you may need to get some 800k floppies.

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I think rawwrite can handle .bin files. Google for it.

6. kingvandal thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so is the os 6.0.8 on CD? or hwo do I make the floppies?

Rich

7. kingvandal thread starter macrumors newbie

OK got the 6.0 version. system has only 1 mb. Can I create the floppies from a windows system? :confused:

8. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

The first Mac OS on a cd I believe was 7.1...

I dont know how to make mac floppies on a windows box...

9. kingvandal thread starter macrumors newbie

OK I downloaded this softwrae emulator called "SoftMac XP Suite ". It give the option to create mac floppies but it is looking for .cd .im .dsk. The images file I have are in .bin format. any other emulators out there that will create to the images I need to floppy?

10. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

I've got a mac se in running condition. Its got tetris and spectre! yeah, those were the days.
    anyways, if you come up to montreal, maybe i can make a disk for you, i think we still have a drawer full of empty disks.

11. kingvandal thread starter macrumors newbie

You have some working ones? Send me a copy in the US mail. I will pay forthe shiiping C.O.D I am serious I wnat this old thing to work.

Rich

12. ebuddy889 macrumors newbie

SE

I have all the older Mac OS's. I can send on 800k floppies, 1.44mb floppies or CD. CD will not help you much for the SE since they have no cd drive and couldn't boot from one even if it did. I have Systems 1 thru 4 and 6.0.5, 6.0.7, 6.0.8, 7.0, 7.0.1, 7.1, 7.5, 7.5.2, 7.5.5. The SE if it does in fact have a hard drive (which some do not) will run any of these versions. 6.0.8 is the best since there is limited ram. Max ram for the SE is 4MB. I suggest getting 6.0.8 just to boot, then you can see how much ram there is and go from there.

13. kingvandal thread starter macrumors newbie

Hell yeah send'em. I will PM you my address and such. THX!

14. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

yeah, better go with that guy, i live in canada, shipping might cost quite a bit more. and i'd have to figure out how to make a floppy from which you could boot, i've got a running computer (not sure which system) but i don't know if i've got start up disks.

Dude, i think you should totally soup that thing up. Tear out the insides, put in a tiny colour lcd screen, basically just shove the innards of an imac in that thing, with a little side pannel for usb, firewire inputs and so forth. It'd be a total sleeper, just like my big old station wagon with the 5.0L v8 and dual exhaust.

or you could just play spectre and tetris and draw stuff with macpaint.