Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdoscorpio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
My goal is to eventually get the mac mini but in the mean time I want to use my older macbook pro connected to my tv where I can use it to stream from my IMAC 27 inch quad core.

I am a bit lost on how to do this.

I have figured out how to get the picture on the tv, I have the rigth connections for this.

I am not sure how to get sound.
The one way I can get sound is to run input to the front of my reciever and it sounds pretty good. But I would rather have a way to have the connections go to the TV so I don't have to have the cables hanging in the front.

What connections and how do I do this?

Also how would I set up my macbook to work wirelessly to the IMAC for streaming itunes and movies ect.....???

Sorry if this is a dumb question and I hope this makes some sense.
thanks

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
What inputs does your TV have? You MBP has normal 3.5mm headphone jack but with an adapter, you can turn it into pretty much any cable, including Toslink and component.

Home sharing from iTunes should allow that plus enable file sharing from Sys Prefs > Sharing

sdoscorpio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
thanks

What I have open on the back of the tv are:
an hmdi
composit video input
ypbr input
ypbr audio input (left and right)
av/s video signal audio input (left and right)
pc audio input
headphone jack

the other option would be if I have any spots open on the back of my reciever would I be able to use them?

sdoscorpio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
thanks

an hdmi
composit video input
ypbr input
pc audio input
headphone jack

the other option would be if I have any spots open on the back of my reciever would I be able to use them?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
an hdmi
composit video input
ypbr input
pc audio input
headphone jack

You could use the PC audio input if it is what I think it is. It's normal 3.5mm audio input, I think. This is what you need. If you have e.g. iPod headphones, try plugging them into the PC audio input just to confirm that it's what I think it is (a picture or model of your TV would help as well)

darkgroove

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
As mentioned, you will need an adapter for the audio. Check this link out for the three ways you can connect to your TV/receiver:

http://www.applemediacenter.com/2010/05/07/connecting-the-computers-audio-to-your-television/

As for the wireless streaming. I think your best bet would be to mount the iMac's hard drive on the MBP. To do this, both computers need to be connected to the same WIFI network and file sharing needs to be allowed (System Prefs > Sharing > Check off "File Sharing" on the left side). Then when both computers are on the iMac should show up on the left side of any open folder window, etc. You should see Devices, and then "Shared". Click on that, hit connect, enter the Admin password for the iMac and then you will see the Hard Drive on your MPB. At that point, you can open any file and it will stream it to the MBP. The only limitations will be if the MBP can read it in the first place, and your wireless connection to stream it fast enough.

Hope this helped!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.