Old & New: How do I print to a LaserWriter from a G5?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nrd, Jun 22, 2005.

1. nrd macrumors member

I recently was given a Personal Laserwriter along with a Mac LCII. I tested out the Laserwriter and it prints text beautifully, albeit a little slow. I have been wanting to get a cheap B/W laser printer for some time now and now I have one, the only problem is that I currently have no means of printing to it from my G5.

Right now, it's hooked up to a Quadra 660AV. Is there a way to either directly hook this printer up to my G5 or somehow be able to print over the network to the Quadra?

Here's some of my thoughts:

I looked on google, but came up with nothing for these questions:
    Is there a cord/dongle that can handle USB to the mini DIN-8 printer connector?
    Are there peripheral cards for the G5?

Has anyone gotten MacTCP to work? I was trying to set it up on both the LCII and the Quadra using a crossover cord and ethernet port sharing on my iBook. I will try it with the router next, because I think the port sharing was part of my problem.

When/If I get MacTCP set up, will I even be able to print? The printer disables AppleTalk for some reason.

Thanks in advance for your helpful replies!

Bonus: Picture of my messy setup.
    [​IMG]
    If you don't have any information, but are interested and want to reply anyway, include a picture of your messy workspace. Bonus points for old Macs.

2. aquajet macrumors 68020

I don't think you'll be able to get it working with your G5. The original Personal LaserWriter doesn't support AppleTalk or PostScript, IIRC. It's possible to get some of those old LaserWriters to work with OS X (I've got a IIg and a Select 360 working) but they must support AppleTalk and PostScript. You might also look at Dell's new $99 monochrome laser printer.

3. nrd thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.

Even though it doesn't support AppleTalk on its own, can I share the printer through the older Mac?