Old, old....,old power mac. What to do with it?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mark0429, Apr 25, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

I am going to be coming into posession of a very old Power Mac G4 (450 mHz, I believe). All I know about it is that it runs Jaguar, and turns on.

Even though I don't really have any use for it (I have a MacBook Pro and an use an airdisk to serve up all my media) I can't turn down a free piece of hardware.

So basically, I am asking what others would do given a free machine such as this?

thanks in advance.

2. macrumors 68040

killmoms

Psh. That's not really old. I was hoping you were gonna say you had a dual-proc PowerMac 9600 or something. Now THAT'D be worthwhile! :D

You torrent a lot? Seedbox.

3. macrumors regular

dragonmantek

turn it into a server.

just get a bigger harddrive in there.

4. macrumors regular

5. macrumors 65816

Haha, I was thinking exactly the same thing. That's only like what, 8 years old? It's not good if you want it as your main workhorse, but honestly it's a good machine. I still use my Beige G3 and wouldn't trade it for a Mac Pro. (Though if it were my main machine... I guess I might have to >_>)

As for what to do with it, give it to me =]

6. Guest

Sky Blue

Sadly, we still have people using these at work, pulled a bunch out recently.

7. macrumors 68000

krye

I'd eBay it for $100 and buy an iPod or something.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I shouldn't have been as harsh about its age. I am set on a primary machine though.

I don't do much torrenting, although I had thought of that.
    I'd also thought about turning it into a server, although I don't know what I would serve.

As for selling it, that's also a possibility...this+economic stimulus check should more than cover a 3g iPhone.

9. macrumors G5

Consultant

You can also run folding @ home (similar to SETI), and also use as a monitor-less server in the basement.

Get Intech ATA Hi-Cap Support
    to allow drives >120gb.

Replace the original harddrive, and put in additional IDE drives (make sure to set jumper on the drives). Much cheaper to get internal drives than to buy external drives.

Perhaps get gigabit ethernet card and cat 5e or cat 6 cable for gigabit ethernet.

Put all your files on it, and set it up so you can access it securely remotely.

I do it with a dual G4 Quick silver, but I also have a SATA card.

10. macrumors 6502

tom.

They can be useful as remote file servers. Get SSH connection working and you have access to everything from anywhere in the world (preferably with a static IP). Or you could stick apache on it, and you've got yourself a web server.

11. macrumors 65816

tMac85

ha! ive seen it!

12. macrumors 603

13. macrumors 65816

I already said that ~_~ lol