Old OS X cd on G3 iMac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bowens, Jul 19, 2006.

1. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I recently received a free iMac G3. It has a 500 mhz G3, 20g hd, cd-rw, and I upgraded the ram to 256mb. I think I can get a copy of either 10.2 or 10.3 from a friend. He has upgraded to 10.4. Will these cds work since they have already been used? Does each new version come with a new serial number so the old serial numbers aren't in use anymore? I'm setting this computer up for my wife and I think OS X would be a little easier for her than 9.1. Also, I want to be able to run a few programs that will only run on OS X, like Gimp. Thanks.

Edit: Also, I really would like iPhoto on this computer. I don't really care about the rest of the iLife programs. Is there any way of getting just iPhoto or would I have to buy all of iLife? Where would be a good place to buy an older version.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well to install OSX on older G3 iMacs, you may need to update the firmware first. If the CDs are retail versions of OSX (bought separately from a computer) then it should be fine but if they were bundled with a Mac then it's a violation of the terms of agreement if you use them on another Mac. Also, newer versions of OSX will simply not let you install onto a different type of Mac.

Maybe look to eBay for old versions of iLife. :)

3. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

No they would have been bought separately. But is there an upgrade version and a full install? If so, will the upgrade work from 9.1 to 10.x?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Cool. Well I don't think Apple has ever released an upgrade version of OSX but I could be wrong. If they're retail copies then they should just work, assuming you have the upgraded firmware. :)

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Full install only. I'd try OS 10.3. I'm running OS X 10.1 on an old iMac in my 'play room' (where I build my hifi:cool: ), and I use it as a music server. Works a treat...

It takes a while to start up, but once it's going, it runs pretty well. It does have 512 mb of RAM though, so if you find your iMac sluggish, I'd upgrade that...

6. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

Sweet, thanks. Now I'll see what I can do about getting a copy of OS X. My friend is a Macaholic and buys every new version of every kind of Mac software, so I'm sure he's got some old versions laying around.

Do you guys think that 10.2 or 10.3 (preferably 10.3) will run well on a 500mhz iMac. I know it's an old computer but it doesn't have to be super fast. I just want it to be usable.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I agree with Killyp. Panther's the sweet spot of the OSX range when it comes to reliability, functionality and system resource usage. :)

8. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Yeh, OS 10.1 is OKAY, but no way near as stable as 9.1 (which is what the machine had before). 10.4 is basically a more resource consuming version of 10.3.

10.3 all the way, unless you have bags of RAM, and a nice big processor (>1.25 GHz).

9. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

10. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

Nevermind, I found iPhoto 2 as a free download from Apple http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120188
    I think this will suite my needs well.

11. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Try opening iPhoto, iTunes (and playing music) plus browsing the internet with 4 tabs open in firefox, whilst loading a (big) movie of youtube.

Now is it fine? :p

12. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

Don't worry, I won't be doing anything that intensive. The most I'll be doing with this is iPhoto, Gimp, and maybe listening to iTunes.

13. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

Sweet, I just emailed my friend and he's got a copy of OS X that I can have. I'll install tonight and let you know how it runs.

14. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Which OS X is it? I'd make sure it's at least 10.2 or above (if it is 10.2, make sure you get it up to 10.2.8). Otherwise you'll be stuck to older versions of iTunes.

10.3 would be best...

15. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

One more question. I got this computer from a friend so it has a lot of their files on it. Should I archive and install or erase and install. I know if I erase and install I won't have classic support, right? I don't have the os 9 disk so I couldn't reinstall it. Do I really need to use classic? I just got my first mac a few months ago so I don't have any old software.

16. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

Like I said, he upgrades every version as soon as they come out, so I'm sure he's got 10.3. He didn't say which version but I'd bet money he has 10.3. I'll find out tonight though.

Edit: Woohoo!!! 100 posts.

17. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Tiger is fine on my 350 iMac as well. Has a lot of RAM though.

18. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

I have an upgrade version from Mac OS 10.1 to Mac OS 10.2

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Ahh, okay. Thanks for that. :)

Does it explicitly say upgrade on the disc? Obviously bowens should avoid anything that says upgrade.

20. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

Well I got the 10.2 install disks. He had 10.3 but they were dvd and my imac only has a cd-rw drive. I installed 10.2 last night and now am running software update. This thing runs OS X faster than it did 9. I'm impressed. And I didn't realize that it came with iLife on the OS X disk (I'm not sure if it was called iLife). I had downloaded iPhoto 2 then I installed OS X and there were iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie waiting for me in my dock. Thanks for all of your help guys.

21. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

Well I got it all updated and it's running pretty smooth. The only problem I've had is there is no Gimp for 10.2. It needs X11 and it's only available for 10.3 and higher. So I decided I'd use Seashore. It doesn't have as many features but still decent. It needs 10.3 or higher. Finally I found an earlier version of Seashore that will run on 10.2. It's a little slow but usable.

22. California macrumors 68040

California

I've had two 500mhz iMac G3s.

One I bumped up to a 120gig hd, 1gig of ram and it runs Tiger and iLife 06

PERFECTLY.

The other I kept the OEM 20gb HD and put in 768mb of ram. It runs Tiger and iLife 06

PERFECTLY, though slower with not as fast of a hd and less ram.

Great machines. Workhorses, 'specially if they've been desk queens, which mine were.