Old PC Games Playable via Virtual PC?

Discussion in 'Games' started by mikeyPotg, May 1, 2006.

1. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

I thought you couldn't play any games via virtual pc, but apparently you can play some? I'm still not sure about this, but does this have to do with the games that aren't really 3d since you don't really need a video card?

If thats the case, would it be possible to play older (dos) games via virtual PC? Theres a game from back in 94 I've been dieing to play. Celtic Tales: Balor of the Evil Eye. I bought the game off ebay a couple years ago but was never able to partition my old pc to play it. Hopefully I still have the game laying around somewhere.

Sorry, I'm a virtual PC newbie - but BOOT CAMP is awesome!

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If its a dos game I'd try Dosbox

See my post (#3) here, for more details.

EDIT Is this worth cleaning up and creating a Mac Guides section talking about PC gaming on a Mac? (eg Bootcamp for new games, dosbox for DOS games etc.)

3. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Thanks for the pointer Eraserhead.

I'm now planning to replay a bunch of classics thanks to your instructions and this site full of cool abandonware:

http://www.abandonia.com

They have a ton of classics! Free and Legal.

I plan on trying Elder Scroll to see where the 360'S Oblivion comes from.

4. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

If you set Half-Life to software rendering instead of OpenGL or DirectX you could play it in VPC. On my PB the game didn't play at full speed but it did run (about 85-90% full speed).

You are correct to assume that most games that were written no to use hardware acceleration will work.