old PC needs to be put to work...

Discussion in 'Community' started by PlaceofDis, Sep 4, 2004.

1. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    alright, i just got an old HP Pavilion desktop from my parents that they no longer want, it has a Pentium III 1Gighertz and 256mb of ram and a 40 gig hard drive

i hardly plan on using it all that much, so i was thinking about making it into a music server, but i dont know how to do this really so can anyone help?

also does anyone have any other suggestions for its use?

and finally can i use Microsoft's remote desktop to use the machine instead of hooking up a monitor whenever i need to access a file or something?

Thanks everyone!
  2. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Jun 3, 2002
    I can't really give you much advice about the mp3 server or anything, but if it's in good working condition, I suggest giving it to a local school or senior center. They usually accept donations of good machines, and you get a tax write off. :)
  3. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    Thanks for the info, i have another old pc that i plan on recycleing/donating, but this one is actually pretty good and i want to keep it around so it gets some use, plus i know that i might run into some Windows only software here on campus so in case of emergancies i would like to keep it around....

so i figured out Remote Desktop connection, but will it work with no monitor attached? also, whats the easiest and fastest way to transfer files from Mac to Pc? (basically 15gigs of music?)
  4. sjjordan macrumors 6502

Jun 10, 2003
    United States
    Joing the Macrumors folding team!
  5. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    alright, i didnt think of that, i will set that up eventually but that doesnt mean im merely limited to folding
  6. vollspacken macrumors 65816

Oct 17, 2002
    Boogie-Down Berlintown
    1. put a fresh XPpro install on there...
    2. download and install iTunes for XP from Apple.com
    2. hook that beast up to your home network
    3. copy all the music files you'd like to share to a folder on the PC
    4. import the files to iTunes
    5. turn on music sharing in iTunes preferences on the PC, turn on "look for music" in iTunes preferences on your Mac
    6. connect to PC by selecting it in iTunes on your Mac
    7. listen to your shared music... :)

7. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    thanks Vollspacken, thats that i was going to do but i wasnt too sure