Old Peforma and Powerbook...

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by XNine, Oct 2, 2006.

1. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    So, my sister has an old performa with a scanner, zip drive, keyboard, and Mic/speaker thing and monitor and some software. Probably 10-15 years old

She also has this really old powerbook, it's grey plastic with round dials on the screen. The disk drives all attach to it via cables.

I don't have the actual models with me or pics, but to a collector who might have an idea, are these things worth any money?

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

The PowerBook, based on that description, is very likely an original PowerBook 100. If so, and it is in working condition (including battery,) it is worth a pretty penny to some collectors. (Maybe $100 if in perfect working condition, but maybe only $20 if it has a dead hard drive and battery.)

The Performa probably isn't worth very much, but it also depends on the exact model, as that name was used for quite a long time, and spans a wide variety of models.

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

If it is a Performa with an internal ZIP drive, it is almost assuredly a 6400 series.. which was also the last of the Performas. They're very nice old machines, and even have built-in subwoofers, but no they aren't worth anything really. They make great System 7 machines though, and many came with a TV tuner and A/V hookups. A lot of desktop Macs back then did.

828.jpg

Of course if it's not an internal ZIP drive, then you basically described what could be any Performa (the list is huge).

A PowerBook with round dials on the screen probably is a PowerBook 100 which was designed by Sony and was extremely small and thin for it's day. If it were working, yes that could be worth something.

apple_powerbook_100.jpg

4. iDrifter macrumors member

iDrifter

About a year ago I bought an Apple][C with printer for $12.00 CDN (about $10 US, €8). Assembled it and plug it in when I got home and to my surprise everything worked. Based on this, how much do you think older Apples or Macs are worth? Nothing. I see old Macs on ebay and other web auction houses; people trying to sell these relics for large amounts thinking they have some antique. I say to them "get real, no one will buy that stuff, you’re better off donating the machine." I had a Performa 6300CD (first computer), a damn fine computer... gave it away. There is no way I could get anything for it. A hundred years from now, maybe. Depends on supply, and being an Apple product there will be lots around in working condition.
    FWIW

5. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Yeah i mean honestly, I only got $1300 for my Lisa.

6. iDrifter macrumors member

iDrifter

The original cost for your Lisa was?
    There are exceptions. The 20 anniversary Mac will probably fetch a good sum and the Newton.

7. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    not yet... actually the money a 20th anniversery mac fetches is actually lower than it was couple of years ago. And only certain Newtons models ( mainly the 2000 & 2100) actually get more than $100)

Now if you have an apple I, the story is entirely different. You could make enough income for a year just by selling an apple I:D

8. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Dont get me wrong my friend i agree with much of what You say. It all depends on the model You have like example, Lisa,Macintosh XL, Apple 1, Macintosh TV, TAM, Cubes are still pricey, as are the Macintosh 128k.