1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Old playlists and files on a new computer and new ipod?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by lith07, Nov 20, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Ok, heres my situation: My ipod video just broke. The headphone jack is messed up on it. So I am now considering buying a new 16gb ipod nano.

Before I go further, I should mention that I run Windows on both my desktop and laptop.

Now, with my video ipod, I would update it on my desktop computer. I used itunes 6 (I dont like upgrading it, because itunes doesnt like XP much), and have my playlists and music all set up there just perfectly. This isnt music that I have purchased through itunes, its all music thats been downloaded through torrents and limewire.

Now, when I get my new ipod nano, I want to use my laptop to update it, because I dont use my desktop much anymore except for gaming.

So my question for all you ipod geniuses is this: How can I get my playlists set up the way they were on my desktop with my old ipod, on my laptop with my new ipod nano? I could do it all my hand but that would take forever.

Im not stupid with computers, I can physically move my music files over to my laptop, but how do I do it in a way that itunes will still recognize my playlists and where the files are?

Could someone help me out?

Thanks!

2. macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

copy the iTunes Music folder in your "My Music" folder from the desktop to the laptop.

I did that from my old PC to my new iMac. No issues at all. All the playlists, Album artwork, everything loaded up perfectly when I launched iTunes.