Old podcasts lurking somewhere in iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by MacMiniBoy, Nov 8, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi all, hoping I can get some advice here.

I've recently been tidying up my iTunes music collection, specifically artwork for my albums. In order to give myself a list of stuff to work on, I created a smart playlist containing all songs that have no artwork.

The odd thing is, there's a bunch of podcasts showing up in that playlist. If I trying playing them I get the "original file cannot be found" error, so I know they don't exist on my HDD.

iTunes won't let you delete content from a playlist view, so I can't simply delete it.

If I try finding these podcast in iTunes, I can't find them anywhere. Not in music, and not under podcasts, so it's baffling me why they're showing up under my "No Artwork" playlist. :confused:

Anyone got any advice?

Cheers.

2. Popple, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012

macrumors newbie

There's a hidden way to delete content from your library in a playlist. If you're on a Mac, highlight what you want to delete and hit option+backspace. I don't know how to do the same on a PC though. Hopefully this solves your problem. (Edit: see below)

EDIT: You may also try using one of Doug's iTunes Scripts to delete the tracks: http://dougscripts.com/212 here's a script to remove 'dead' tracks from your library. Or you could use the Mac App that he's made that removes dead tracks and much more ($1.99 in the MAS): http://dougscripts.com/apps/tracksiftapp.php

EDIT#2: Unfortunately, I don't think my first suggestion will work for smart playlists so you may have to look at the other options I suggested.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Done a bit of digging. Turns out I can just delete them from the playlist view using option + delete.