Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greenplasticcup

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2001
while there are draw backs to using a TiBook (wider, maybe not quite as durable), you still lose out on screen size if you go with the ibook. The ibook is 1024x768 - that is smaller than 1152-by-768 that's over ten percent larger. Not to mention that if you are using it in your office, you can plug it into a larger monitor and have a huge extended desktop.

Also, dont be fooled by the larger size of the 14" ibook. It's the same number of pixels, just added weight.

Lastly, the volume of the TiBook is still less than the volume of the iBook. So if space is a concern, the TiBook is better.

I love my ibook, but if I didn't have a tower to go to for my more hard-core needs, then I would get the G4 tower. I also somewhat wish I had gotten the G4 Powerbook instead, but hey, i'm poor!

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Hey, I ordered the iBook about 30 minutes ago. I wanted to thank everyone for the advice. In the end having the 20GB hard drive versus the 10 GB and the combo drive versus the DVD proved to be the difference maker.

Here are the specs on the iBook.

G3 600
384 MB Ram
20 GB HD
CDRW+DVD Combo

I will connect it to an external monitor while at work.

Thanks again everyone, and I will post a new thread with my experiences with it after tomorrow.

greenplasticcup

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2001
external monitor use is somewhat disappointing with the ibook. All it does is mirror your desktop. The Powerbook gives you the extended desktop.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
I know I would have loved to have that, but I have heard about durability problems with the TiBook, and the hinges, as well as problems with the slot loading DVD.

Truth is they were the same price, and the Ti only had 10GB and 128 of ram, so I would have had to go up and spend more money right away on ram.

Besides I don't think that there could be that much performance difference between the two. I know the G4 has altivec, but out of the box, the iBook is 200 MHZ faster, and has 256 more Ram. In non altivec apps, I bet the iBook is much faster, and it is smaller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.