Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

river.dan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2015
Seattle
Geriatric 2007 Mac Pro 1.1
Dual Core - 6 Gigs of Ram
320 gig HD 7200 RPM
My first Mac - Had it a few days - Older guy - Having a lot of fun
NOT going to spend a lot of money - Will get a good video card next Pension Check

Question - if you can help (thank you all in advance)

1. Installed a new 1TB Seagate, reformatted 250/750 for Clone-Boot/Storage-Backup respectively.
I put several hundred gigs of bird photography and music in the storage area. My intention is to put a bootable clone to preserve the system and applications in the 250 gig area, leaving room for more programs/applications as time goes on. The "Time Machine" auto-backup feature of my LION system, wants to backup the files I just put on my new drive, and wants me to name a a non-existent third drive to put them on, even offering to connect me wirelessly to the world via airport card if necessary to name it. I can't find a way to configure "Time Machine" internally. Any suggestions?

I'm wagering this is yet another example of lovely Macintosh making things so simple for me, that they're hard.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Geriatric 2007 Mac Pro 1.1
Question - if you can help (thank you all in advance)
1. Installed a new 1TB Seagate, reformatted 250/750 for Clone-Boot/Storage-Backup respectively.
I put several hundred gigs of bird photography and music in the storage area. My intention is to put a bootable clone to preserve the system and applications in the 250 gig area, leaving room for more programs/applications as time goes on. The "Time Machine" auto-backup feature of my LION system, wants to backup the files I just put on my new drive, and wants me to name a a non-existent third drive to put them on, even offering to connect me wirelessly to the world via airport card if necessary to name it. I can't find a way to configure "Time Machine" internally. Any suggestions?
What do you want to do with Time Machine? Disable it so it does not try to backup?
If you want to disable the backup then go to the upper left menu bar :apple:>System Preferences...>Time Machine and click the button on the left side of the Time Machine preference window so that it is in the OFF setting.

Hopefully you get a way to backup all of your "several hundred gigs of bird photography and music" as soon as you can afford a dedicated backup disk.

river.dan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2015
Seattle
What do you want to do with Time Machine? Disable it so it does not try to backup?
If you want to disable the backup then go to the upper left menu bar :apple:>System Preferences...>Time Machine and click the button on the left side of the Time Machine preference window so that it is in the OFF setting.

Hopefully you get a way to backup all of your "several hundred gigs of bird photography and music" as soon as you can afford a dedicated backup disk.

river.dan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2015
Seattle
I just installed a terabyte backup drive and duplicated all of the music and photography to 750 gig partition of it. I intended to clear the primary drive of excess stuff and create a bare bones bootable disc, to include all applications on a 250 gig partition of that 1 TB disc.

It appears I will have to do this manually... not using the "time machine" at all. It wanted to back up the files I'd already backed up, on the new, secondary hard drive, to some undesignated, third location and wouldn't permit me to configure it differently.

Sorry if that wasn't clear. I will have a bootable disc on a partition of that TB HD if that's possible, and storage on the other 3/4ths, again, if I can... keeping the 320 GB primary disc I currently have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.