Old PS2 Vs. Slim PS2

Discussion in 'Games' started by Felldownthewell, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I have been console-less for some time, my last was an xbox I sold to my aunt and uncle on the cheap because I barely used it and they couldn't afford a new one for my cousin's birthday. Before that I had a PS1 and thats about my console experiance, besides a PSP and GBA, both of which I sold, both times in favor of iPods (3G dead, and new 5G).

I always played on my PC, and I do sometimes on my MBP- and I imagine I may when I install windows. However, I've got a real yearning to play some PS2 games lately- GTA: SA a couple of the FF games and most of all Metal Gear Solid. I realize the 360 is out and the PS3 is coming, but I am working on a budget, and an $89 refurb w/ game is sounding nice. However, it is the older, fat design, and I am wondering if there is any difference at all between the two, and if there is, is it worth the extra $10 w/o game?

Opinions? Ideas? Links to sites with $89 pre-release PS3s?

Thanks!

Edit: I realize this might go in buying advice but I figured that this i more of a PS2 to PS2 comparison so I would post it here...mods, feel free to throw this over to its proper place.

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

My understanding of the difference between the old and the new is that they cut a few features that no one used on the slimline in favor of a quieter, smaller more reliable system. I don't think the new ones can take a HD nor USB or iLink. But I could be wrong on that.

I would get the referb. The slimline is just added form factor.

3. Felldownthewell thread starter macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I wouldn't use any of that- so its not a problem, all I need is a controler port and memcard slot. My only problem would be over-heating and a noisy-as-a-roaring-lion system. Is the old one really that bad? I would love the new one for looks, but that alone does not justify the extra $$. However, more quiet and reliablity would.

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Well, I have the old one. Bought it back when it sold for $300. The only time I hear it is on boot up. Sure it has fans but they aren't very loud, I would say on par with my PowerBook G4.

Now, there might be some slight speed improvements on the slim one. Meaning load times might be slightly faster, but gameplay will remain unaffected. That would be the only reason I can see spending the extra cash for.

5. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

If you want reliability, get a new one and a warranty. it's the only way to go.

6. Vster macrumors 6502

I sold my Old version as soon as the Slim-line one came out. Needed the shelf space. I picked up the round stand for it so it takes up even less space now. :)

7. Felldownthewell thread starter macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Have you noticed any noise/heat difference or difference in load times?

Since the new one is back-ordered at gamestop.com, I think I'm going to swing by one near my house which according to the websit has one in-stock and get it there for 99.99. If they only have the old one, then I'll get that, and if they have none I'll just get the old one off gamestop.

I don't want to get it new because I don't care about cosmetics and its too much for me to pay if I can get a functional one for $50 less.

8. sk1985 macrumors regular

My roommate's slim model gets blazing hot (at least the first version he has does). I heard that was a common problem though. Sony most likely has revised the product several times by now and fixed that problem. I personally like the older model better. If you can get the very last revision (it a couple new features) that would be the model to get.

9. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Doesn't the Slim PS2 also have a network adapter built in?

10. Digidesign macrumors 6502

Yes, it comes with the network connector. I got the slim one for cheap after EB Games had a special where you could trade in your old system for $100 credit, and any games for $10 credit towards the new slim one.

I think it also has USB, but haven't used mine in awhile so I can't say for sure.

Heat-wise, it's fine. My housemates and I use it as our primary DVD player, so it's on all the time. It's super quiet, and still runs fine after more than a year of usage. Some of the earlier models had issues with the laser burning out I believe, but the ones now should be fine.

11. sixstorm macrumors regular

Here's the real skinny. If you haven't noticed, PS2 game disc come in two different color backs, silver and blue. The thicker PS2 usually doesn't play the blue backs over a period of time. Also, where the CD just sits in the CD drive of the thicker style, the disc gets bumped around and damaged easily. With the thin style, you don't get that because the disc locks in the tray.

Thin style is the way to go, don't waste your money on a thick one.

12. Felldownthewell thread starter macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Slim it is then...thanks for the advice, but if anyone has anything else to add please do so, I'm not going to go buy it for a few more hours as I'm busy right now...

13. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I hated the old PS2. Mine broke 2 days after the warranty expired, and they wouldn't replace it:mad:

I bought a slim one, and although I hardly ever use it, it seems a lot more reliable than my old one.

14. Digidesign macrumors 6502

15. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The old design PS2 had some issues with its DVD-ROM. Some run fine, others get DREs after just a couple weeks of use, and still others (like mine) go a few years before the DVD-ROM goes. It seemed fairly widespread but not every unit was effected - it's just something to be aware of.

16. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

My old PS2 broke about a year or two after i got it. I opened it up, and it was completely covered in dust. So i cleaned it out, and it only works intermitently. I would get another PS2, but it would probably break, and i dont have the money :D

17. ilikeninjas90 macrumors regular

I would get the new one

Its much quieter compared to my old one

and it just looks sexier