Old school meets new school...1G iPod with Compact Flash

Discussion in 'iPod' started by VirtualNsanity, Jul 20, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

So I recently got my hands on a pretty banged up (but fully functional) 1st generation iPod (the headphone jack is even intact!)

I have been reconditioning an old faceplate to fit on it and working some dents out of the back.

I figured, as long as I was inside, I would put in a new battery.

However, now that I've gotten inside, I thought about taking out that hard drive!

Is this a possible modification?

I have come across a few different listings for 1.8" IDE Toshiba hard drive to CF converters. Does anyone have any experience with these/know if they work?

Here are some examples:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/feedbacks/BrowseReviews.dx/sku.10886

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=140323782616

Any thoughts on if it will work. For the $4.00 everyone seems to be asking I really want to give it a try...but if there is no way it will work, I might as well save my $4, haha.

Thanks, any input on this would be greatly apprecaited :-D

2. macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Yes this has been done many times.

(that's just one of many links)

From what I understand, you just need to research an make sure the CF card you buy is compatible. I bought 2 of the adapters on ebay for $10, but haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

3. macrumors 6502

A very classic project. Just be careful with the ipod's internals.

4. macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Ill be doing this to the iPod Mini when 64GB CF become cheaper.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

I know this has been done before...

...and I did my research before asking, but I wanted to check with the experts ;-)

I still a bit confused as to which part I can use. I have never heard of anyone doing this with a first gen iPod. Furthermore, I just recieved an email from that eBay seller informing me that the part I listed will NOT work.

Where did you purchase the two $10 eBay adapters?

Are the internals (that matter for this project) the same as the other iPods? I hav read several reviews of this done on 4G and 3G iPods, but never on the 1G.

Thanks again, guys!

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone?

7. macrumors newbie

Me too.

It's funny because I'm trying to do this exact same thing with someone who wants to keep the first gen but play music again. Let me know how it works, I wish it was compact flash compatible like the mini, if I get to it first, I'll let you know.

8. macrumors 65816

iCantwait

i has 64gb iPod mini