Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which setup do you prefer?

• Old setup man that thing is nice! LOL

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • New setup, damn that's sleek plus OSX RULLLEEZZ

Votes: 47 70.1%
  • You should of bought a Mac Pro DUH!

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Who cares? LOLZ

Votes: 12 17.9%

• Total voters

R.Perez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Seattle, WA
I figure this will be a forgone conclusion given what forum this is, but I wanted to get everyone's opinion anyway, go ahead and vote!

my old setup:

This was 6 months ago, before I moved to Hawaii...

oldcomp.jpg

IMG_3016.JPG

IMG_3058.JPG

i7screenshot.jpg

Here is my new setup in Hawaii... (these are from today)

mg5414.jpg

mg5422.jpg

mg5424.jpg

mg5431n.jpg

mg5436.jpg

mg5438.jpg

mg5447.jpg

All in all I love my new setup, sometimes I am not sure and get nostalgic about my custom build. What does everyone think?

R.Perez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Seattle, WA
does it really matter if anyone likes your setup? both are nice, oh and use in future, the mods might bin this topic ;)[/QUOTE]

Of course it doesn't, just a friendly discussion.

Isn't that what forums are for?

Anyway was just thinking about it today and thought id get some other opinions.

Edit: Oh and done, thanx for the suggestion ;-)

Perrumpo

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
can you timg these pics in the setup thread, too, where you could've asked this question? kthx

R.Perez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Seattle, WA
Just wondering..

what'd you do with your old rig?

Sold it for $2600

Saved the money, after I moved, I bought my current setup :D

It was a little sad, I put a lot of work into that build. Sleeving all those cables individually is quite tedious.

I was originally hoping to get into MDPC (Million Dollar PC) but it never happened.

When quad core iMacs came out, the pricing was too good to resist.

That and paying shipping to Hawaii for all the parts I would need to build a new computer was crazy expensive.

I'd used OSX for a solid 10 years or so, so I it was a comfortable switch. (mostly at school beforehand)

I was always a Linux guy and begrudgingly used Windows for Photography and Gaming.

OSX is a happy middle place for me.

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
Here's all my major setup's over like the last year.

Attachments

• IMG_2024.JPG
    IMG_2024.JPG
    807.3 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1741.JPG
    IMG_1741.JPG
    665.2 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1943.JPG
    IMG_1943.JPG
    837.6 KB · Views: 124

stratking

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2009

Love the new setup but the old one wasn't too shabby either. One question, what is that enclosure that you're using there. The reflection is such that I can't quite make out the first part of the name. How are you liking it? I need to get one (no backups at all right now :eek:) and am shopping around for a nice enclosure.

R.Perez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yup, thats the one!

Its my main storage drive in Raid 0, I love it.

My time machine backup is hiding on a twelve south backpack hiding behind the screen :p

R.Perez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Seattle, WA
So here is my current dilemma....????

Is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

While I am really happy with it, and I really like having my speakers sitting up like that, the base of the speakers stands is really taking up a lot of desk real estate.
Floor stands are not really an option, so I am considering removing the base of the stands and attaching them directly to the desk.

Is there any reason this would be a bad idea? or does it look weird?

I just want a few different opinions before I drill holes in my desk! :p

pict3171.jpg

I am leaning towards it.

here is another pic, sorry for the crappy quality (gf's really old point and shoot)

pict3172x.jpg

andrewdale

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Memphis, TN
So here is my current dilemma....????

Is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

Is there any reason this would be a bad idea? or does it look weird?

The only reasons I could think to not do this are for sake of stability. I'm not sure what material that desk is made of (Solid, MDF, Particle, etc), and I'd personally rather trust my speakers to stands that are built to support their load. Unless, of course, you're very confident in your ability to mount them directly to the desk.

Then the question comes of whether you want to do that and then have marred up your desk in the case of future changes.

Personally, I don't think they're taking up too much real-estate. They're just taking up a little space in unused corners that would just get messy anyway. :)

R.Perez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Seattle, WA
The only reasons I could think to not do this are for sake of stability. I'm not sure what material that desk is made of (Solid, MDF, Particle, etc), and I'd personally rather trust my speakers to stands that are built to support their load. Unless, of course, you're very confident in your ability to mount them directly to the desk.

Then the question comes of whether you want to do that and then have marred up your desk in the case of future changes.

Personally, I don't think they're taking up too much real-estate. They're just taking up a little space in unused corners that would just get messy anyway. :)

Ya I am still not sure.

I am not worried about the stability aspect though, I would attach them with 4 wood screws the same way they are attached to the base. In fact I would probably use the base as a guide when marking where to drill the holes.

R.Perez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Seattle, WA
The second one...
PS how you liking hawaii? I want a vacation house their so bad!

I love Hawaii!

I live on Oahu, which allows me to finish school, but is also the most expensive island.

My 500 sq ft 1 bedroom apartment is $1000/ month :eek:

That being said, I am literally a block from the beach in Waikiki.

Also other Islands are not nearly as expensive, the Big Island for example you can get a 3 bedroom house in a good neighborhood in Hilo near the University for $1000-$1500 a month. 2 bedroom apartments can be had for much less ($600-$1000).

Oahu has the best job market though, my gf got a job in human resources after 2 weeks of looking.

Unemployment is about 8% currently, was 2.9% a few years ago.

Contrast that with Portland, OR where I moved from...

during peak economic growth unemployment hovered in the high 7% range,
currently it is over 11%.

Did I mention its like 82 degrees every single day?

:cool:

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

R.Perez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Seattle, WA
I did it today, thanks for the suggestions guys.

Now I just need to order some isolation pads for the speakers

mg5460c.jpg

prodigee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I like the look of the new one more, but where did the Lian-Li rig go? I remember it from over on [H]ardOCP (I think) and it was a beautiful rig.

R.Perez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Seattle, WA
I like the look of the new one more, but where did the Lian-Li rig go? I remember it from over on [H]ardOCP (I think) and it was a beautiful rig.

Had to sell it when I moved to Hawaii.

Thanx for the compliments though, I put A LOT of time and $$$ into that build.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.