old Tibook 550 FASTER than 1.5ghz PB on startup?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by California, Apr 6, 2006.

1. macrumors 68040

California

I was just fooling around with pbs after the Tiger update and restarted my pbs, old PB G4 Titanium 550mhz/60GB 7200RPM HD/1GB RAM and my 12" PB G4 1.5GHZ/5400RPM HD/1.25GB RAM.

The Tibook started up something like twenty seconds or more faster than the PB?
    How can this be?

Is it because the Powerbook 12" has a "slower" Toshiba GAX hd, 16mb cache but 5400rpms?

And the Tibook has a faster Travelstar hd, 8mb cache but 7200rpms?

I'm astonished. The Tibook seems mighty fast to me... how weird is that?

2. macrumors 6502a

Shamus

I would say that it is the hard drive. I cant think of anything else that would cause such a big difference.

3. thread starter macrumors 68040

California

Well, I'm still very impressed with the proformance... tho noticed a bit of a jerkiness now with 10.4.6 on the Tibook.

4. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

1) Why are people obsessesed with startup speed?

2) THings that could contribute to longer startup
    - more RAM
    - Bluetooth
    - Airport
    - Amount of "other' resources in the OS -- foreign languages, background services, SQL, Appletalk, and a bunch of things I can;t think of right now
    - slower rotation speed on the drive -- the cache comes into play only when re-reading something that you have read before - good for software and data, but not much use at startup, when by definition everything is read for hte first time.

5. thread starter macrumors 68040

California

Well, it's one gig of ram on the TIbook to 1.25 on the powerbook.
    Tibook has external asante card; pb built on APE
    PB bluetooth; tibook none.

Not obsessed with startup speed. I only thought of comparing the two machines because I was astonished at the speed in which the TI was working.