old vs. new 20" cinema display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by furrina, Jul 13, 2004.

1. furrina macrumors regular

I'd like to get a 20" cinema display for use with my Powerbook 15" (and eventually the G5 I'll be getting). I edit some video (FCP) but not professionally, plus other general stuff though not much regular 2-D graphics.

Is there significant big advantage of getting the new aluminum vs. the old beyond aesthetic preference -- I think I may actually prefer the look of the "old" ones? the price is roughly equivalent and I don't much care about the $100 difference. Will the new one be easier to use as a TV screen someday should I want to do this?

2. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

I would think the new ones will hold their value much better, because most people dont want the 'old' model. Obviously this doesnt matter during use, but it might be something to consider if you are someone who changes your gear alot and will be selling it.

3. colinp macrumors member

This might not be a problem for you, but while checking out the old model at Apple Store last week (I'm a recent switcher, so that is why I realized this late) I noticed that you can't change the orientation of the screen at all (or maybe there are just two options). Either way, it is something that I think the MUCH MORE adjustable new ones make very worthwhile.

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I like the look of the old ones better, and I don't know how much they cost compared to the new ones, but to me the new ones have noticably better screen quality. Go with the new one, especially if you will be watching video of any sort on your display. The new monitors have MUCH better refresh rates, which means better looking video.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

FWIW: the 'old' 20" is quite adjustable - the back stand tilts, allowing the screen to go from essentially vertical to quite sloped back.

I'd get a new one, unless you want to be able to use the ADC port and not the DVI one (in which case the older one is better). The response times are better. I've got the 'old' one now, and I think it's excellent, so I can only assume that the new ones look even better!