Old vs. New! Fight!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by James Philp, Apr 17, 2005.

1. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Following on from this thread, I thought a more general discussion was needed.

I think we all have to agree that in terms of software, Apple have come on leaps and bounds! OS X totally kicks 9 and 8's arse, and so do the apps for it.

But, what about hardware? Here's what I think, what about all of you?

The new hardware has sexy appeal - it's like looking at a supermodel (generic), but the older machines have personality - like a sexy TV presenter, the lovely curves, the unique shape, and the strange, untennable thing that keeps you going back to the show every day!

I love my Pismo, the way it's still running OS X, the way the RAM goes to 1GB, and also the way it looks. The curves to it, it looks WAY better than most of the PC laptops out there (even viao's - eugh!).

I have a friend who had to upgrade cos his pismo died, and when I visit him he looks on at mine longingly. He says "but the new models don't really have much personality, the'yre pretty much just silver slim boxes, sexy sure, but where's the identity!?"

If only they'd put the Apple logo on the right way, but in those days there was less posing with Macs (like most people seem to have them for these days - like being seen in the Apple store with your PowerBook is somehow 'trendy'). I really dislike these Mac "wannabes" who got a PB for christmas and use it like a fashion accessory, and don't ever unlock it's potential - what a waste!

I like the new ones - don't get me wrong, and of course you can do just as much with them as you ever could, but I just don't think I'd grow as attatched to it as I have my Pismo. I know my friend hasn't

i love to heare from you old boys to see what you think (I imagine there are plenty of you with 'new' 'sexy' PB G4's)?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

This old girl thinks new is the new black.

I'd swap the looks of my G4 against the G5 PM any day.
    Brushed aluminium vs. curvy plastic and mirror-drive doors? No contest.

3. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

All Macs are beautiful, with each successive generation and update becoming more and more beautiful... :rolleyes:

BTW, I have a new 'sexy' PowerBook...;)

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Another 'old' girl here with a new sexy PB which I love - I confess to stroking it when I shut the lid. I didn't own a Pismo but the PB was the first laptop I saw that made my jaw drop. I don't like the heavy blackness of the Pismos I've seen. I disagree that the AL book lacks character, it's just a sleeker, sexier one. And I feel very attached to mine - logically my brain is telling me to upgrade it but I just don't want to say goodbye.

I don't agree that people pose with Macs. Poseurs may have discovered the iPod but being a computer geek and carrying around a laptop is not going to be trendy; regardless of the brand.

I hate the Mac 'wannabee' phrase - it's such a snobbish attitude that makes Mac users appear smug and overbearing to the rest of the computing world. They've got a Mac (regardless what kind); they're a Mac user. And if they've dropped a grand to get a Powerbook when they only needed an iBook, that's up to them; perhaps they preferred the look, perhaps they needed the higher screen resolution, perhaps they just wanted a bigger internal hard drive or a larger screen. Even if they didn't need its power now, perhaps they were future-proofing by getting something better able to cope with later purchases of camcorders etc

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I loved my Pismo G3 PowerBook, it was a lot more tactile than the TiBook I had after, although I'm totally hooked on my 17" PowerBook now, but I can't help thinking how it would look in carbon-fibre or woven Teflon... Black of course.

New is definitely the way to go now, but oh, those curves....

6. James Philp thread starter macrumors 65816

James Philp

I really do believe there are people out there who bought a Mac because it's 'cooler' than a PC - I'm sure of it in fact. If they subesqeuntially then discover it's potential great, but I'm sure I've seen people at the genius bar saying "I bought this a month ago, and I can't find the start menu"! And the whole thing of putting the logo the other way round (so when you use it people who can see you see it the right way up) is a complete poser's dream!

The question really has to be - if you were offered a Pismo with the internals of the new PB would you go for it? When the TiBook came out I oogled over it, but now I'm not so sure. I guess I just like something that's a little bit individual and different, and although the designs of new Macintosh's are beautiful (don't get me wrong, I love them!)), they seem a little removed and generic.

Maybe I need to own one to fully appreciate it - my iMac G4 is lovely (possibly the LAST Mac with a curve to it!)

7. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the old clamshell ibook looks so much better than the newer square g3 and g4 ibooks but it's what is under the hood which really counts

the days of super curvy and colorful apple hardware is over...it was a great gimmick back in the late 90s when everything one saw was beige from the other makers

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Tho I did hear Macbashers commenting that Apple were so backward even their logo was upside down back in the old days so I guess it works both ways. Having it the right way up when others see it is better brand marketing. The only person to see it the 'wrong way' is the user when they open their 'book and I guess Apple figure that they've already got that customer.

I know what you mean about people not knowing where to start with new Macs and hearing odd questions at the Genius Bar. I honestly believe that's got less to do with posing and more to do with people telling them that Macs are more secure/less hassle and people liking the look personally. I'd guess that many 'Book users don't actually take them out very often. I have four friends with laptops (Mac and PC) who have never taken them out of the house; their sole reason for a laptop was not needing a desk and being able to watch DVDs in bed. :rolleyes:

9. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I have over 8 Macintosh comptuers, from Classic to Modern.

I like the looks of the old beige computers as much as my Polished looking Quickaudio, and G5 Tower.

The Cool factor in looks is there, and the Power is totally there. How many PC users can say they like the look, and the "current" performance of their 12 year old computer? I still use my Quadra 840 for recording Audio which is later converted to AAC and MP3.

Yeah the G5 can do it, but I love using my Quadra :)

That is the Apple Experience for me, verity, and powerful abilities that remain as useful now as they were 12 years ago!!