Old Wacom Tablet mystery help please!!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by LimeiBook86, Jun 9, 2003.

1. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I have had an old Wacom tablet in my house for a long time. It is a big tablet, I measured the writing part 12 x 12. The whole tablet is 16 by 16 1/2. All it says on the back is Wacom, Co Digitizer...I know this thing is old, thats about it, there is a port that looks like a PC serial port. It says RS-232C under the port. I know I used to have a wire that would connect the tablet to the Printer or Modem port on the Mac. But I wanted to give this to my PC friend, he is running XP Pro. Any information about this would be great. Here is a site with some pics of it: http://homepage.mac.com/ibook238/PhotoAlbum19.html There is no name on the Tablet so it's hard to tell how old it is. I'd guess 8 to 10 years... please help...:D

2. cubist macrumors 68020

Pretty much all digitizer pads work about the same way; they have a baud rate setting at either 1200 or 9600 baud, they send a binary packet consisting of a "flag byte" which includes button up/down indications, a two-byte binary X position, and a two-byte binary Y position. They send these packets whenever there is a significant change.

You may be able to find a mouse driver which will work with the pad. Or, you may find CAD software which supports a pad connected to the serial ports. Other than that, I don't know what you might be looking for.

3. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Ok thanks for the info...:)
    My firend was planing to use it for Photoshop and Painter and such...

4. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

That looks like an old DIN-9 port. If it is, you can try a couple of things if his PC won't plug it.

GO on eBay and look for a Belkin USB/Serial connector. I got one for my Newton for about $12.

Check ALL of Wacom's site for a driver for it. I found one for this ancient tablet from them for a PowerBook 1400, and it worked great. Good Luck!

Regards,
    Gus

5. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

thanks I think I'll do that, I have a Palm serial to USB aqdapter that might work.