Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kingloo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
Schuttrange, Luxembourg
Hello all! I have an interesting dilemma. My mother's computer running Windows 3.1 ( :) ) is, after 11-12 years of loyal service, starting to look like it might die soon. I thought that a Mac Mini would be an ideal replacement, as XP would likely give her no end of trouble. However, the main use would be to run several classic Windows games: Minesweeper, Free Cell and Taipei.

I did a bit of searching around, and found a few sites with clones of old Windows games, but none of them were really what I was looking for. Does anyone know if these are available for Mac anywhere (as freeware) or know of any sites where I might find them?

Thanks!

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Burning Monkey Solitaire will probably bring her a lot of joy. It's not free, but real cheap, and lots of fun.

There was a nice Taipei game called Shanghai. Not sure where it came from?

ZicklePop

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2005
cubist said:
Burning Monkey Solitaire will probably bring her a lot of joy. It's not free, but real cheap, and lots of fun.

There was a nice Taipei game called Shanghai. Not sure where it came from?
If I'm not mistaken, Linux, I LOVE THAT GAME!

Fink should have it, fink runs Linux apps on a Mac if you don't know. I haven't got my mac yet but it seems easy to do. Someone else who has used it should help heh.. fink.sf.net

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Kingloo said:
I did a bit of searching around, and found a few sites with clones of old Windows games, but none of them were really what I was looking for. Does anyone know if these are available for Mac anywhere (as freeware) or know of any sites where I might find them?

Try dosbox for OS X, http://www.holwegner.com/software/#DOSBox and download the DOS originals from http://www.abandonia.com/

There are some good "abandoned" games out there (e.g. Betrayal at Krondor, the original Prince of Persia, Lemmings etc). Downloading abandoned games is legal - they have been released by the publishers, usually because they don't expect to make any more money out of them.

I have run dosbox on my PC and if the OS X version is anything like it, you'll get lots of old 90's DOS games running on your Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.