Old Windows Games on Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Kingloo, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Kingloo macrumors newbie

Mar 24, 2005
    Schuttrange, Luxembourg
    Hello all! I have an interesting dilemma. My mother's computer running Windows 3.1 ( :) ) is, after 11-12 years of loyal service, starting to look like it might die soon. I thought that a Mac Mini would be an ideal replacement, as XP would likely give her no end of trouble. However, the main use would be to run several classic Windows games: Minesweeper, Free Cell and Taipei.

I did a bit of searching around, and found a few sites with clones of old Windows games, but none of them were really what I was looking for. Does anyone know if these are available for Mac anywhere (as freeware) or know of any sites where I might find them?

2. Montserrat macrumors regular

Jun 10, 2004
  3. Kingloo thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 24, 2005
    Schuttrange, Luxembourg
    Thanks for the quick response. Much appreciated. :)
  4. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    Burning Monkey Solitaire will probably bring her a lot of joy. It's not free, but real cheap, and lots of fun.

There was a nice Taipei game called Shanghai. Not sure where it came from?
  5. ZicklePop macrumors member

Mar 28, 2005
    If I'm not mistaken, Linux, I LOVE THAT GAME!

Fink should have it, fink runs Linux apps on a Mac if you don't know. I haven't got my mac yet but it seems easy to do. Someone else who has used it should help heh.. fink.sf.net
  6. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    Try dosbox for OS X, http://www.holwegner.com/software/#DOSBox and download the DOS originals from http://www.abandonia.com/

There are some good "abandoned" games out there (e.g. Betrayal at Krondor, the original Prince of Persia, Lemmings etc). Downloading abandoned games is legal - they have been released by the publishers, usually because they don't expect to make any more money out of them.

I have run dosbox on my PC and if the OS X version is anything like it, you'll get lots of old 90's DOS games running on your Mac.