Old Windows or Linux Exploits

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by kilpajr, Apr 8, 2005.

1. kilpajr macrumors regular

I am taking an Information Security class this semester in college. We have a project that involves exploiting (attacking), detecting (Snort with ACID), and preventing security exploits. We have been given one exploit for Red Hat 7.3 but, to get a better grade, we need to find and use other expoits.

Do any of you know of any easy exploits for a RH 7.3, RH 9, or an unpatched Windows XP system? Also, do you know of any good links where I could find this kind of information? I need to complete this project soon so I am not looking for known security holes for which I need to research and write code for.

Note: I am not seeking to become a "cracker" or to use this information for any other purpose than to complete this project in order to understand how systems can be compromised, how to detect these exploits, and how to prevent them. I will only be doing this on my own computers and lab computers.

Isn't this a cool project? I only wish I had more time to learn about more of this. Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Try connecting to things as "Administrator" with no password.

Works on most Windows boxes, even SP2. Its a feature, mind you.

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Look for security software called Retina. It scans remote computers or the computer it is installed on for exploits or patches that need to be installed, etc. It is fairly expensive for just one project however. The trial is fun to play with :) but its Windows only :(