Older Blizzard games on Intel Macs

Discussion in 'Games' started by CANEHDN, Feb 16, 2006.

1. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

This is for the Blizzard fans of old. I've now tried three blizzard games on my Intel Mac. Since I haven't found a forum dedicated to the older blizzards games that state the performance, I'll create one. I've now tried Diablo II, Starcraft, and Warcraft III. Here is what I've found:

Diablo II - Major video problems. Completely unplayable. I'm guessing once this issue is resolved, the game will play just fine.

Starcraft - Plays just fine, from what I've seen.

Warcraft III - Plays awesome. I had all the video settings all the way up and not one pause or skip during play.

Hope this helps some people.

2. rbarris macrumors 6502

There is a known issue in GL mode with Diablo II, that we will fix with a patch; but did you also try the software rendering mode? Hold down option at launch to get to the video setup dialog IIRC.

3. CANEHDN thread starter macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

I hadn't tried that. I just gave it a shot and you were most certainly right. It works pretty good. There is a tiny bit of choppyness, hardly even noticable, though. That may even be from the fact that it's not UB. Do you know when they will have that patch out? Thanks a ton for the little hint.

4. rbarris macrumors 6502

Don't yet have an ETA for the patch; but the change needed is fairly minor so my hope is that we can get it done pretty soon.

5. Knack macrumors newbie

Warcraft III

I'm sorry but I have to protest this. Warcraft III on a MacBook Pro (2.0 CoreDuo, 256MB X1600, 1 Gig RAM) does not work awesome. In fact, it works worse than my G4 1.5Ghz PowerBook. I was very annoyed when I realized this and am desperately hoping that Blizzard decides to patch it to Universal Binary.

6. CANEHDN thread starter macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

How can you protest this. We're using different machines. I noted that I was using the iMac. There will be a difference in performance between the Macbook Pro and the Intel iMac. Desktops usually run faster than laptops. Plus I have 2 GB of RAM. That may be making some difference. Sorry that it's not working well on yours. I agree with you, on the fact that they should release UB for Warcraft III, at the very least.

7. armen52 macrumors newbie

So does this mean that Blizzard will release a universal binary patch for Warcraft 3 and TFT? Or not?

rbarris, could you confirm one way or the other?

Also to the Macbook Pro user, what settings were you using when you tried War3 and it wasn't playable? Did turning the settings down help at all?

Thanks,
    Armen

8. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I think the TFT patch i on it's way. W3 is still played by many people, and many are OS X users. there is no reason at all to not port the game to Intel Macs. Besides, Apple has made the transition very easy.

9. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Yeah, if Aspyr can find the time to make Shrek 2 and Spider-Man 2 universal, then Blizzard really should make Warcraft III universal, too!

10. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

i fail to see how any of these 3 games are "Old Blizzard Games".

I consider OLD Blizz games ones that people dont play.

Like WC, WC2 and Diablo 1, or going back to the SNES, Lost Vikings and Rock n Roll Racing,

Blizzard games stand the test of time, and rarely ever are "unplayable".

Though I will argue they wont be making UBs of the games I mentioned.

Blizz is a mac fanboy at heart, you know it, they will make UBs as fast as they can count their millions from WoW.

11. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

There are no plans for Universal Binaries of previous games. Of course... I have no link or nothing but... that's what I recall reading (I believe in the World of Warcraft General forums a CM responded stating this... I don't really read any other Blizzard info).

12. motoxpress macrumors 6502

You have to admit the specs between the two systems are not that different and I am personally suprised that there is a major difference between them.

As a major Blizzrd fan, I am VERY interested to know how well their games run in rosetta as I am wanting to move m family over to an iMac 17" duo and they play WC3 and WoW.

-mx

13. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

Just out of idle curiosity, I wonder how well Diablo II does under Rosetta...on basically any G4 Mac, it has problems (though G5's perform better) and Rosetta is generally as fast as a 1GHz G4, right? (and honestly, that's a huge technical marvel; CPU emulation at 1/2 native speed is something that Connectix and Microsoft haven't been able to do, and other x86 emulators are even worse)

14. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

Actually, the iMac and the MacBook Pro have the same exact processors, at 1.83 and 2.0 GHz (besides the 2.16 option on the MBP). They have a very similar graphics card, too, with ATi Radeon X1600 and an ATi Mobility Radeon X1600, respectively. The iMac is basically a cooler-running, silent MacBook Pro on a stand and a 17" monitor. The only performance here that's not negligable is the RAM, of which you have a lot, and the display. Because the iMac has a bigger display and a higher resolution, the performance on a game at full resolutions will be a bit worse on the iMac.

I'd like to add that I have a stock 1.83 GHz MacBook Pro, and Warcraft III runs amazingly, even faster than on my sister's recently-purchased HP laptop.

15. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

This is good news, Starcraft is the only game that I play and I intend on purchasing a new iBook soon :D

16. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

Hopefully it will work, just tried installing it last night on my Macbook Pro and it just spit the CD out and asked to insert the CD labeled StarCraft...not sure if it's an issue with the Macbooks, since people reported success with it on iMacs.

17. rbarris macrumors 6502

Start by obtaining the OS X Native / Carbon Installer from the battle.net web site, then run that and it should prompt you for the proper CD's.

Do note that some older StarCraft CD's were not hybrid (with both Mac and PC content), if you have one such set than this won't work either.

http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=msc0411p

http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/starcraft/patches/Mac/StarCraft_OS_X_Installer.dmg

18. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

The Starcraft cinematics in the campaigns do not run well at all on my Intel iMac.

Also, what do you guys think of the legality of this situation. I own Starcraft and Brood War CD's and keys. The CD's however are PC only. Blizzard was willing to send me new CD's if I sent them mine and paid for shipping back. It would have cost $15 or so. So, to install the software on my Macs, I used a copy of a friends hybrid CD with my CD keys. Legal or not?

19. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I dunno the legality issues.

You can get the Hybrid version of the Starcraft Battle Chest at any retailer for 20 bucks. It has the strategy guides included too, and new CD-keys. You can then pass on the CD key to a friend alongside the discs and get someone to play with.

20. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Perfectly legal, but I'm not a lawyer. You paid for your keys but are using different discs. That doesn't matter as you are buying the key; the disc is the means of installation. I've installed from a disk image quite a few times, but I use my legally-bought key.

I'm not a lawyer, but again, I don't think Blizzard will mind.

21. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I use images all the time. In fact, when I get a new CD/DVD, I make an image and put the CD in the attic. So, when I want to play Starcraft, I mount the image and go. No CD's switching for me.

22. mcoding macrumors newbie

Running Diablo II on Intel Macs

When you launch Diablo II on an Intel Mac the GUI launches until you get to a screen that 'dances' all over and nothing appears to work. The work around is to hit Command-M. This will take the GUI out of full screen mode and like magic you can play the game. Performance seems to be on par with the G5 iMac...enjoy...

23. jef152 macrumors newbie

Diablo II no cd trick

somewhat unrelated, (I do play Diablo II on my macbook pro), but is there any way to play Diablo II w/ Lord of Destruction expansion without having the cd in the drive? Obviously, I don't need the Diablo II cd's, but it does require the Lord of Destruction CD when I play. It really irks me when I have to have a cd handy to play the game. I've tried creating an image of the LoD cd, but that didn't work. Anyone offer any tips?

***and yes, I DO legally own the copy of the game (in fact two copies of Diablo II, the Limited Edition Box Diablo II that was for PC only and the Battle Chest hybrid cd version with the expansion set)**

24. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Strange. Is this something related to intel based Macs only? I used to play LOD with a disk image on my PowerPC Powerbook.

25. jef152 macrumors newbie

my fault

When I reinstalled everything on my macbook pro, I recreated the LoD disk image. When I recreated it, not from the whole disk, but only from the session itself. This was the problem. Once I recreated the disk image, from the whole disk, it now works.

I wll report that using the command-m works when keeping the opengl working with Diablo II, but it's not stable. I already had a couple of crashes when attempting to go to different waypoints.