Older DP 1.8 G5 or Newer DP 1.8 G5 - which is better?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by maclamb, Nov 2, 2004.

1. maclamb macrumors 6502

Jan 28, 2002
    Northern California
    I have the opportunity to buy an older model G5 DP 1.8 on ebay - this is the older one that supports up to 8 Gig.

Or, I can wait and get a new DP G5 1.8 -

Are there any issues, (sound,noise, speed, bugs) in the older models that are fixed in the newer one - any reaosn I should Stay Away from the Older model on Ebay?
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    The older model has twice the hard disk capacity, twice the RAM slots (not only meaning you could go up to 8GB - which is too much for most of us, at least now - but that you could, say, use more smaller [cheaper] sticks to get to a given configuration).

Sound, noise, bugs: I have a Rev A dual-2.0 with zero problems. Some early G5's might have had issues, but mine did not - and it came in September of last year. It isn't noise, there aren't fan issues, no bugs I've noticed.

I'd verify that you can get AppleCare - which, unless it was one of the first dual-1.8's made, you should be able to do (i.e., if it's less than a year old).
  3. cluthz macrumors 68040

Jun 15, 2004
    The old 1.8DP also has pci-x opposed to the standard pci on the new.
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    The memory slots and the Hypertransport PCI-X bridge are the two biggies.

The new one doesn't even have the HT PCI-X bridge, like the old low-end machines -- so there is no way to ever "get around" Apple's HW crippling.

But since this is the 3rd different PM motherboard being used after the headless-iMac in the PM case, it may vanish to drop back to 2.
  5. HiRez macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2004
    Western US
    I think Apple is really screwing up by offering these crippled machines. Go ahead and cripple the iMacs if you want, but PowerMac is supposed to be a power machine and should not be crippled, period. I'd put down my credit card in a second right now for an original (uncrippled) dual 1.8 if Apple still offered them. But I need the PCI-X slots for uncompressed video so I cannot use them. It's not worth it to me to pay an extra $500 just for a minor speed bump (2.0 GHz) and PCI-X. The dual 2.5 is a good machine and actually a pretty good value too, but it's simply out of the price range of most people, value or no value. I have to wonder how much money Apple is saving by crippling the few components on the new 1.8s. I don't care about the crappy video card or the meager amount of RAM or the tiny hard drive because those things can be upgraded, but you're stuck with PCI forever. I wonder if what I'm guessing is a tiny amount saved is worth them losing my business. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. :mad: