Older memory in a g5, good idea?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hammo, Oct 19, 2005.

1. hammo macrumors newbie

Sep 11, 2005
    I've been playing a lot of games lately (WoW to be exact) and I'm itching for more power, so I've been toying with the idea of slipping two of my PCs 512 chips in there.

They're both rated at DDR333, while my computer currently has two DDR400 chips in it.

I know that on PCs, putting slower chips in won't hurt(damage) the computer, it'll just make it run at a lower clock speed (the memory, that is). Will the results be the same for the Mac? Thanks!
  2. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    You don't say which Mac you have, but you probably won't be able to use the old memory.

Beisdes making sure the memory is the right type for the G5 (DDR400 in you case) there are other memory specs that you have to worry about. Crucial's web site has some pretty good info about all this.
  3. hammo thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 11, 2005
    Ah, sorry, the model version slipped my mind.

I'm on a First-Gen Dual 1.8Ghz G5
  4. iEdd macrumors 68000

Aug 8, 2005
    PC2700. You need PC3200. Chances are, your PC ram could be budget. Macs are very sensitive RAM-wise.
  5. osprey76 macrumors 6502

May 3, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    You probably won't break anything, but it also will likely not work. I wouldn't even try that with my own G5 (if I had one.) :)
  6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    The Macs use the EEPROM to determine the speed on the memory.

So slower memory generally won't work, since Macs generally don't let you overclock the memory in any case.

Cannot take slower memory and stick it in a Mac, you also need to burn the EEPROM to the newer specs.

Basically just checks the EEPROM to see if it meets the specs -- which can cause problems with marginal memory.