older PC adventure games on Virtual PC 6

Discussion in 'Games' started by ClarkNova, Sep 20, 2003.

1. ClarkNova macrumors newbie

First off my apologies if this has been addressed, I searched and could not find a topic that was close enough to my question to provide me with an answer.

I just purchased a new powerbook (12 inch screen - 1GHz PowerPC G4 512MB DDR266, 60GB Ultra ATA drive - NVIDIA GeForce FX Go 5200 - 32MB DDR ) and I am wondering about the possibility of playing older games with Virtual PC. Games such as Gabriel Knight 1 & 2, Phantasmagoria, Bladerunner, and Fallout that require no 3d acceleration and a pentium 90 chip or below. Would Virtual PC 6 be able to run these sorts of games smoothly?
    I'd really appreciate some insite before I pay the rather steep price for the emulator.

~ClarkNova

2. alxths macrumors 6502

If I'm not mistaken VPC 6 emulates a p3 at about half the clockspeed of your cpu.. So you shouldn't have any trouble running those games at all... Well, one problem I can see you having is running them on winxp.. you may want to find a copy of good ol' win95.

3. ClarkNova thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much alxths :) I am planning on getting the version of Virtual PC that one has to install their own OS on and using an old copy of windows 95 or 98, so the games should run all right.

~ClarkNova

4. lewdvig macrumors 65816

mmmmmmmm Fallout.

Blade Runner was really good too. A few endings as I recall.

5. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

LOL Fallout is AWSOME!!! BTW I think you can get fallout 1/2 in a bundle for OS X @ $20

6. ClarkNova thread starter macrumors newbie

I loved fallout as well. I own fallout 2 but I have not gotten very far in it (started over so many times when I played it years ago that I got sick of it). I'm thinking I'll buy the mac version of both (unless perhaps the pc/mac versions are on the same disc, I'll have to check).

I totally agree with you on Bladerunner. That is one of the few games (and movies) that can still take me out of my life. I wish they made more games like that these days.

In any event, the powerbook will be here Thursday or Friday, I can't wait :)

~ClarkNova

7. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Blade Runner presents you with some tough choices. Its rare for me to play a game through afew times to see some alternate endings.

Fallout
    Blade Runner
    Half Life
    Neverwinter Night

Rare breed of games, eh?

8. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Fallout 2 was very good too. Much bigger though, and that is not always a good thing.

I want to pick up Arcanum before it disappears too. Good and cheap right now.

I have Fallout Tactics ($9.99 CDN PC) and Freedom Force ($20 CDN PC) that I have yet to finish.

My vote for best RPG ever though, and it should just barely run on VPC, is Planescape Torment. I rank it just barely ahead of Fallout, Ultima 4 and Moebius (Apple II game by the guy who later did Wing Commander). Native resolution of Torment is 800*600 and its all 2D. I loved that game.