Older projection TV and video games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by im_to_hyper, Nov 27, 2005.

1. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Hey there -- My family has a 48" Sony rear projection TV from 2000 or 2001. My parents have never let me play video games on it because they said the games would "damage it".

I know a couple other people who use big screens for games and have had no problems whatsoever. I know that big screens were bad for Super Nintendos... but using it with an Xbox 360 shouldn't be a problem, I wouldn't think.

What do ya'll think?

2. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Why would a SNES be bad for a projection TV, and a xbox be just fine?

3. im_to_hyper thread starter macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

I have no idea. I'm just a clueless person asking for help.
    :cool:

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Burn in was very common on older rear projection TVs, you should check the manual for your TV to see what it says, as for the SNES versus the 360 why would it make a difference at all? I'll answer my own question it wouldn't.

5. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Sorry, but what's the difference between a rear projection TV and a regular TV? I must be TVilliterate...:eek:

6. AppleAce macrumors regular

Well, actually it could. SNES (and any other older consoles) have more cartoony graphics where large areas of the screen are one color, and stay that one color for most of the time, resulting in burn-in. A newer console, XBOX 360, usually has 3D rendered graphics where a certain area of the screen is not going to be exactly the same color for long periods of time.
    Now, I don't know this to be a fact, but I would think that newer 3D games would be much less likely to cause burn-in than an old (S)NES or N64.

7. Toreador93 macrumors regular

Yes, it has to do with burn-in. Rear Projection screens (like the old CRTs, and the new LCD and DLP rear projection) and at least the first few generations of Plasma TVs have this issue. The problem is the phosphorus material that is used on the screens to "brighten" the image (I believe it just makes it glow).

Burn in happens when any stationary image is on the screen for a large percentage of the time the tv is on. For example, if you watch CNN 24/7, the scroller at the bottom, and the logo will be "burnt" on the screen. Take a look at some of the TVs in stores; you might be able to see an example of this. Often with games, there is a feature (be it score, or a weapon in FPS) that is always on the screen.

However, I've played plenty of games on my old (1995) rear projection tv, and it's fine. The reason is that while a few hours can be spent playing games on the TV, it is off-set by the regular tv we watch (which is full of color and brightness changing). So, unless you're playing games for many hours and nothing else, you'll be fine.

8. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I have a brand new KLV series HD LCD TV and the manual and all of the reading I've done online say they don't suffer burn in at all. I'm not sure about DLP TVs since they are pretty rare in Australia.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've got a 11 year old Magnavox rear projection t.v. and I've had 3 different game consoles connected to it: Atari Jaguar, Sony Playstation, and Nintendo GameCube. I've never had a problem with burn-in on this t.v. My parents have had two much more expensive Mitsubishi t.v. sets, one older than mine and the other newer, and both had terrible burn-in, especially the newer one which didn't even last 6 months. I was surprised because I went to my parents house for Christmas and the t.v. was turned off and I saw 1-800-345-1515 and my mum asked me where I saw that. She was surprised but she had been watching QVC more than a little and they never move anything so you know where it's going to be.

It doesn't seem to be the three tubes or the mirror but the final projection screen that receives the burn-in.

Anyway, don't play the same game 24/7 and you should be fine.