OLED Powerbook: how long?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by bikeboy, Mar 22, 2003.

1. bikeboy macrumors newbie

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

well, there's no way to predict how that particular industry is going to progress, but if all goes well i'd say 3-5 years earliest. There are still production cost issues as well as size (thickness) as well as reliability in larger applications, i think...

coolness aside, current LCD displays are pretty much superior, for now anyway...

pnw

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I think you're right, 3 years if we're lucky. Its just so much cheaper right now for LCDs. Eventually OLEDs will make some headway, but they'll be more expensive till production gears up. Since they have less parts, they have potential of being much cheaper than LCDs.

D

4. joed macrumors regular

At the moment OLED displays has issue of reliability. Currently they are seceptible to moisture. And so for the next couple of years you'll only see then in consumable items - or items with a short replacement cycle (eg mobile phones, cameras, shavers etc).

OLED has better luminosity than LCD, better colour reproduction and is faster than LCD (ie can reproduce video much better).

I would also give a 3-5 year time frame for laptop screens. but I think we could see it in the ipod or an ipod like device within the next 12 months.

The new Kodak digital camera is the first comsumer devise to use full colour OLED. To be available in Europe and Australia in April!

5. bikeboy thread starter macrumors newbie

"...3-5 year time frame for laptop screens..."

Ouch, don't think I can wait that long. I was thinking a year, year and half tops. Oh well, I guess I'll have to "settle" for the current 12" inch PB.;)

6. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

sounds good. also sounds like there won't be any things to break down in the screens, like no more backlights to ware out.

7. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

No, but at present, the whole screen burns out in a rather short amount of time.

8. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

From the articles that I have read, there is a notable spectral shift as the units age.

On the plus side, the manufacturing cost appears to be less (at least in the long run) as the materials can be "printed".

I'm sure that they are working on stability and longevity issues.