OLED question

Discussion in 'Community' started by poundsmack, Jun 2, 2005.

1. poundsmack macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2005
    are OLED's planned on replacing LCD's in the near future? i was reading up on them and it seems they require so little power in comparison they could be powered wirelessly via say bluetooth 2.0. now that would be awsome!
    for those who have no idea what this is:
  2. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

Nov 19, 2003
    i could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure powering something wireless is pretty far fetched at this point. beaming useable energy isn't quite the same as beaming a signal. I think for beaming energy, you'd need a direct line of sight, and maybe microwaves to transmit the energy. i know i've heard talk of doing that kind of power transmission for say, orbiting solar panels, beaming the energy back down to earth.
    who knows, i could be wrong, maybe the energy requirements for OLEDs are so low that they can function on ambient infrared light or something.
  3. poundsmack thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2005
    have you heard of the concept of phantom power? it is used to power wireless microphones remotely. mabey it wasnt bluetooth i read about i am trying to find the puplication i saw
  4. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004

I've never heard of wireless phantom power.
    I've heard of wireless microphones that have plugin phantom power adapters though.

I don't think 48v being beamed through the air would be particularly good for you.
  5. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Its not that too bad. Human skin has a resistance of ~1 MOhm.

There are ways to beam power remotely. Its not usually in any great amount. Usually its only enough to send a signal back. Thats the way metal detectors and RFID tags work btw.
  6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    My old company used to have a power beaming lab - they'd use microwaves to transmit the energy and have diode receptors across the lab powering a model airplanes prop. It was intended for providing power to UAVs that would allow you to keep them in the air indefinitely.

But the frequencies they were using weren't harmless - you never wanted to walk in front of the dish while it was on.

RFTags use a much lower level of power and a different frequency (at least the ones we used).