Oleophobic coating

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Samtb, Jul 25, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

Can wiping the screen hard remove oleophobic coating?

2. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Over time, yes. Its all dependent on hard you wipe, and how often. It may last the life of the phone, or may start wearing away sooner.

I recall an old iPhone lost the coating in spots where I was constantly swiping.

Because its a coating that is not impregnated into the glass it could be worn off from excessive use

3. macrumors 65816

Instead of wiping your screen with excessive force, use a microfiber cloth after fogging with your breath. If you got it really nasty with food, "slightly" dampen the cloth.

4. macrumors 65816

Since most people can't tell if it's there or not (as evidenced by the threads asking about wiping it off, how long it lasts, etc...), I think I'm going to start selling "oleophobic coating in a jar".

"For the low low price of $39.99 ($5.00 discount for MR users!) you too can re-apply the coating you can't even tell you have!"

Send me orders.

*Product may or may not work, and may look suspiciously like a jar of air.

5. macrumors 6502

chumawumba

Sorry but Amazon already implemented your idea for a cheaper price. Free shipping too.
    http://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Finger...1374785811&sr=8-1&keywords=oleophobic+coating

6. macrumors 68000

I was concerned about the coating wearing off. But after 2 years of what represents heavy use for me it's fine. Granted, I'm not fanatical about keeping the screen clean.

7. macrumors 65816

Wiping too hard can cause hemorrhoids kids.