Olympic Athletes May Use iPhones Without Restriction During Opening Ceremony Says IOC

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 6, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The International Olympic Committee confirmed today that Olympic athletes are free to use any device they wish during the Opening Ceremonies, including iPhones. They are also not required to cover any logos on their devices.

Yesterday, it was reported that Samsung had asked athletes to cover the logos on devices made by competitors during the opening ceremonies as a condition for receiving a free Galaxy Note 3 smartphone in the gift bags given to all athletes.

In an email exchange with MacRumors today, an IOC spokesperson was asked about athletes being asked to cover non-Samsung logos on mobile devices. She responded saying the report was "not true":
    Olympic athletes are controversially banned from mentioning any non-sponsor products during their time at the Olympics, including on social media and clothing. Rule 40 of the Olympic Charter, the rule covering the mention of non-sponsors, does have a specific exemption for sponsor logos on clothing or equipment that cover less than 10% of the surface area of the product in question.

It is possible that Samsung requested that logos be covered, but it is not an official IOC request and athletes will not be penalized for using or displaying non-Samsung phones.

Article Link: Olympic Athletes May Use iPhones Without Restriction During Opening Ceremony Says IOC

2. macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

who cares. its not a big deal either way

3. macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Hahahaha that's got to hurt for Samsung. Your fault for trying to get it that way anyway.

4. macrumors 65832

Tankmaze

oops, too bad for samsung.
    it's a ridiculous rule anyway.

5. macrumors member

Apple would have done the same. Let's at least TRY to be fair.

6. macrumors member

bazinga! & [​IMG] to all those supporting 'samesung' in the other thread

7. macrumors 6502a

They should put big Apple stickers on "everything":D

Go :apple:!

8. macrumors 604

I'm not surprised they threw Samsung under the bus. It's not realistic or reasonable to expect them not to be able to use devices they own, or have to try and cover up a logo.

9. macrumors 6502a

rablat

No big deal samsung phones all look like iPhones anyway.

10. B4U
    macrumors 6502

B4U

Glad to see the IOC has common sense.

Kind of like looking at 2 school children fighting and got taken care of by a cool headed teacher.

11. macrumors 604

That's speculation. Companies are judged on what they do, not assumptions that every other company is just as bad.

12. macrumors member

I'd be like:
    [​IMG]

13. macrumors member

I told you guys yesterday. But trolls insisted this restriction by Samsung is normal.

14. macrumors member

Samsung is now trying to get their sponsorship money back and requesting athletes return the phones.

15. macrumors 65816

To be fair, I don't think Apple would've needed to do the same, did you see the opening ceremonies of the London Olympics a couple of years ago? Samsung sure did. :)

16. pk7
    macrumors 6502

So just a desperate attempt by Samsung to force their name out there.

17. macrumors 6502a

Quite possibly, and I'd think it was just as ridiculous if they did, too. Glad that the athletes - who are what the games are ABOUT, really - will not have to worry about what they use or whether something is showing unintentionally.

18. macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

Because they're a big company? Nah, there are numerous companies out there who would have the good sense to avoid this type of sleazy marketing for exactly the reason that it comes to light, if not for other moral reasons.

And this sort of stunt is not something Apple's history suggests an affinity for.

19. macrumors G3

roadbloc

Yawn. This still?

20. macrumors newbie

Yes, Apple would but they didn't. Let's at least TRY to deal with the FACT.

21. macrumors 68030

Arran

...and it only would've taken two coverup stickers!:p

22. macrumors 6502a

ardchoille50

I wouldn't have accepted the Samsung device anyway, why would I want a volkswagon when I already have a Rolls Royce? :)

23. macrumors regular

The iPhone does not have any identifying logos on it anyway, so Apple would be sFe even if the IOC did prohibit devices displaying logos of non-sponsors.

24. macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

That backfired on them, giving more publicity to apple! Nice!

25. macrumors 603

heisenberg123

LOL what?