Olympics are about the money, not the games

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by varmit, Aug 20, 2004.

1. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/08/20/olympic.diaries.ap/index.html

CNN reports that in a bid to protect its lucrative media contracts, the IOC is barring competitors, coaches, and support personnel from writing firsthand accounts of their Olympic experience, on the web or in print, for the duration of the Games. Nor are they allowed to ever post photographs or movies that they've taken, including media of themselves, even after the Games are finished. They've threatened to disqualify anyone that violates their restrictions and sue them for monetary damages. Looks like an effort to clamp down on grassroots, word-of-mouth publicity for the Olympics.

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I don't think the Olympics really need grassroots advertising...

But not letting coaches and athletes and such post their own video and pictures of themselves and others? What the **** is the point?! :confused:

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sorry, but it seems to be all about the money now. You can't wear certain looged shirts. Phelps at 19 is driving a Cadillac Escalade with custom wheeels, and will ADD a a Cadillac STS. Not replacing, but adding. At 19 years of age. Give me a break.

4. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

Been to a college campus reacently? :rolleyes:

I'm sure Phelps signed a few contracts for being "one of the best in the world", I mean, COME ON. No one is raging on M. Jordan for making a few bucks...

Tyler

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Don't get me started on what is paid to athletes in the MLB, NFL, and NBA. Endorsements are a separate issue IMO.

My point about Phelps was more of where does you go to from his starting point. Once his 15 minutes are up, it could be a hard fall.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Mary Lou Retton learned that very well 20 years ago. She took every opportunity at the time.

http://www.ighof.com/honorees_marylou.html

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

it's not just about money. it's also about friendly competitive doping.

paul

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

That's the true competition after all - who can be the leader in doping/gene altering/whatever they do nowadays. Forget about leading edge training, conditioning, etc., how about leading edge science as it pertains to doping, so that the athletes won't get caught... Illegal performance enhancing methods are years ahead of the tests required to detect them, so it's quite the science and "competition".

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

Wow, I disagree with the original poster (varmit) on this one quite a bit...I feel that the Olympics are about both the money and the games, much like any sport. Anyone that violates the rules of any sport usually gets fined. Though this year, there is a lot more talk about the new advertising rules to hide that fact. (I know, very little input from me this time. It scares me too...)

10. macsrus macrumors 6502

Most people dont care anyway....
    Interest in the Olympics has declined dramatically over the last 20 years...

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

This is very true - as a kid I used to enjoy watching them, but now I couldn't really be bothered. And then the 2 times I do tune into the Games to see what's being featured, I see "synchronized diving" and "trampoline". :confused:

12. macsrus macrumors 6502

Same here... I used to not be able to get enough of watching them....
    But now even the TV coverage has dramatically declined...

My kids have probably never watched the Olympics.... And they are 16/14/12 and a 1 year old