Olympics Athens 2004 Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by vouder17, Aug 13, 2004.

1. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Well after that opening ceremony, it is fair to say that Greece has really pulled out all the stops to make this event as amazing as it should be.
    I think that these olympics will be by far the best and I think that Greece deserves it, and it seems like it is thier year and all (Euro 2004 Champions).
    Well i just thought that this would be a nice thread to have dedicated to the olympics.
    Ohh and the Netherlands are going to pick up most the medals, followed closely by South Africa.

Peace
    DjVoTeZ

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

They say it's the most expensive ever, £5-6 billion. Holy f**k!!! :eek: :eek:

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Thanks for starting this much-needed thread. I'm ready with my 2-week supply of sofa snacks. Let the games begin!

4. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Just to eleborate on this, with a population of 10 million people and a price tag of $10,000,000,000 (US dollars) that comes out to $1,000 (US dollars) per citizen!

BEN

5. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

its being carried in HD, which is what I'm looking forward to. And some of the commercials have been too. I await the day when i can go to any channel and see some HD.

6. Nspace macrumors regular

As a Canadian, I thought our uniforms were pretty garbage. It looked like they were wearing some gym warm up clothes or something.

7. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

DID ANYONE JSUT SEE THAT CHILDRENS CHOIR?

They looked liek they all had iPods on hahaha. iPod headphones anyway to hear the instrumentals.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Don't know about coverage anywhere else but I find the UK coverage lacklustre.

A fanatical devotion to covering home talent sees us with tomorrow's exciting coverage of judo, swimming and rowing.

No football, for instance.

It would be nice to see some more varied coverage.

I love watching the volleyball (the real one, not the beach) but that'll be tucked away somewhere late & only the highlights.

9. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

I said that too! But it turns out the headphones were a little curved so they weren't iPods :( That would have kicked ass, 1000 iPods!

BEN

10. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Does anyone else find the opening cerimonies so amazing that it seems almost like its from something higher than it is?

Do you realize how much time and preparation had to have gone into this? Just that fireworks display at the end was amazing-- all the timing they had to get right.

It's incredible to see the world coming together as one, using all our technology to create one of the most astonishing shows ever. It's hard to explain what I feel about it... anyone else feel this way... just like WOW?

11. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Did you see the US outfits? Garbage! and to make it worst, after the US team came out, a commercial for buying the outfits was played... so sad. I know that some will like the clothes but they are not of my taste at all, and the commercial just made them sad.

edit - just wanted to add that it was nice to see Bjork, what an incredible honor, I just wish they did not talk over her presentation... oh and how did they clear her dress away so fast??

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

13. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I must say, it both looked and sounded pretty amazing in HD. It really brought the color in the different outfits worn by all the various countries to a new level. I just wish that NBC had a better HD reception, I am not sure that was full 1080i. Either way, it looked pretty nice and helped to get my mind and my roommates' minds off of the hurricane pounding us right now.

14. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I just wish I had my TiVo already to enjoy the games. But I won't be getting it for probably two weeks. (Still gotta sell my iBook to raise the cash.)

Anyway, it was a terrific pageant, as it is every year. My wife and I went in person to Salt Lake's opening ceremonies. It's a terrific experience.

I think the biggest impression I came away with tonight was how magnanimous the Greeks are. Big cheers even for the U.S., Turkey, Cyprus, Iraq, etc. And I think the ancient Greeks would be very impressed to see what their little event has turned into.

15. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I LOVE the opening ceremonies of the Olympic Games. I often don't even watch the actual games in the summer. I would have given an arm and a leg to have seen it in HD. :(

16. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Well they reminded me of those In-Ear Headphones

As for the opening of the games it looked amazing

Don't know how London is suppose to top that if they win to be the host :D

17. vouder17 thread starter macrumors 6502a

vouder17

The coverage here in South Africa/Swaziland is really good we have 8 dedicated channels to the olympics!!!!
    Well the only dissapointing thing that i feel about the olympics is that we have to worry about so much terrorist threats. It takes a bit out of the games, don't ya think.
    Well today holland played SA, well holland beat SA 6-2 so that is a win win situation for me mighty cool.

18. MyLeftNut macrumors regular

Great effort Greece. Well Done. The opening ceremony had great austerity and pathos...helps when you have 3000-4000 years of history to play with. Mind you, did you see some of the eye candy goin around the stadium!? Some of those Greek girls..damn!!! :D

19. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

No. It was using a strange compression of 720p, I know because my unit tells me. There are 18 standards of digital TV compression, and NBC uses the one that takes the least bandwidth for the olimpics. This is because they are planning on broadcasting atleast one or two sub-channels to co-inside with ABC starting up ABC NEWS LIVE and their Radar channel (in my area).

20. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

The opening ceremonies were in 1080i (rochester) in my area (99% sure, have to go check the copy I made of it). NBC has the radar channel here too, but I think different areas just spend different amounts of money on the hardware.

BEN

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

so any ideas on the best website to follow the games and medal count?

sorry to have missed the opening ceremonies...:(

D

22. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

You can tell it wasn't 1080 here, the colors were kind of spastic unless you were really far from the tv to not notice. You could see a lot of digital noise, especially with the brighter colors. I hope the games will look better, at least, because between that and the signal cutting in and out and for some reason having it literally rewind or something by a good 10-15 minutes after some of the commercial breaks got pretty annoying.

23. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

more importantly, did you see their outfits?????
    Did they run out of $$ for costumes and sub in potato sacks?

24. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    the opening ceremonies were just amazingly beautiful. the breakaway sculpture was an engineering marvel and the historical parade had some of the most outstanding costumes and make-up. ntm, the perfect timing of eros as he sailed overhead and dipped to pick the flower from the lady's hand...that was a one-shot deal...simply perfect.

the downside was the absolutely moronic commentary by katie curic(sp) and whatshisname... reminded me of cable access coverage of our local low-budget parade. their verbal effluent so perfectly symbolizes the razor-thin depth of american television culture.

but still...even with their cheesy banter...it was breathtaking.

25. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I want to know how they managed to put that hologram-type thing of the list of all the cities to host a modern games in the middle of the stadium when all the people with the "torches" were flying in on wires.