Olympics on the computer

Discussion in 'Community' started by Brother Michael, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Hey does anyone know where/how I could listen/watch the Olympics on the Internet.

Reason being, I would like to try to listen or watch any of the live stuff at night, and I figure there has got to be somewhere on the internet where streams can be found.

Also, anyone know of a good site that either has desktop wallpaper from the games, or at least good images that can be photoshopped?

Mike

++EDIT++ Actually the NBC Site has some good photos, as well as a netscape site...forget the photo-thing...now what about that internet coverage.

2. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

If your in the US, online olympic feeds are going to be near impossible to find and if you do, most likely illegal. NBC paid ALOT of money to be the sole people to carry the olympics and they don't want the content to be distributed ANYWHERE else. Basically, all of america is "blacked out" online (like the MLB does with it's games on mlb.tv)

BEN

3. Brother Michael thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Well that is most excellent. I love my country...

Mike

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The BBC in the UK are advertising on their TV service that you can watch up to 5 different sports via their internet site.

Not sure if it'll limited to the UK but here's the URL
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/default.stm

5. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I've even noticed that the official Athens Olympics site - is very slow to update results...
    was watching it last night - and the Schedule... vs ... in progress... vs start lists... were several hours old - and in many cases up to half a day old!

Tis a shame. For the Sydney Olympics - they wre updating results almost in real time - which was great - so if you were particularly interested in a certain sport or person that television wasn't giving great coverage to - you could get results from the net. Day2 and the results notifications / updating seems to be getting much faster - but with the MULTI BILLION dollar TV rights - think it will be virtually impossible to get alternative feeds / streams.

I've even had trouble here in Australia finding out when our television channel will be showing specific events (actual timings).
    sevensport.com.au - have a day by day listing - via their Olympic TV Guide - but using Safari - could get any day to dislay - apart from Day 1. There is a drop down list to choise from but no enter or select button.

our local ABC's daily listing appear to have the best actual timings for each day for those interested).