Olympus E-300 Evolt dSLR or high-end point and shoot?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sigamy, Aug 29, 2005.

1. sigamy macrumors 65816

I'm looking to upgrade my wife's digicam. She currently has a 3.3PM Olympus C-3000 Zoom. We've had this camera since Dec 2001 and it has served us well but for the last year my wife has been complaining about the shutter lag. She takes tons of shots of the kids and she misses many good shots because the camera is just too slow.

A friend just got the Olympus E-300 Evolt digital SLR and he really likes it. I've read good reviews on this cam, but many say the Canon or Nikon are better. We don't have 35mm lenes so the Olympus is ok for us. The Canon and Nikon are out of my price range and probably overkill for what I need.

The other issue is that we usually stick in auto mode. Niether me or my wife know all the in's and out's of photograhy. So I'm thinking a high-end all-in-one cam would be better for us. It would be cheaper, smaller and should give us better shutter lag than our 4 year old camera, right?

My wife wants the "pro look" of an SLR but I know she doesn't have the time to really learn photography. And I hate it when people have an expensive gadget or tool that they don't use fully (like my nieghbors with G5s who don't know how to attach a file in email!).

So, if the main goal is little to no shutter lag and excellent quality photos can I get that from a high-end point and shoot like the Olympus 7070 or Canon S2 IS? Or should we move on up to dSLR now and learn over the next year or so?

2. kbonnel macrumors 6502

I would look at a DSLR-like camera. Such as the Fuji 9500, Canon S2, etc. You will get the "looks" as well as a really good camera. DSLRs are great, if you plan on using them too their full advantage. Many times you will need multiple lenses to cover your required focal range ( I have 4 lenses for my Canon, and am looking at 1 more for increased telephoto range ). Also, if you don't like to use the view-finder then stay away from DSLR's. You can't use the LCD screen to setup your shoot, only to review it. If you decide to go with a DSLR, make sure the one you pick has acceptable lenses too meet your needs. If it doesn't, keep looking.

I would check out dpreview.com for good reviews and to finalize your list.

Kimo

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'd say for her needs there's no reason to get a high-end camera. Heck, I have the 3030 and I have a hard time even justifying getting a new camera. However, the shutter lag and general slowness are compelling arguments. Just upgrading to a new point and shoot -- the 7070, or even the 5500, which I'm constantly talking myself out of -- should serve her just fine.