Olympus Evolt E-300... so how is it?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by slipper, Aug 26, 2005.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

Nov 19, 2003
    DSLR noobie here. how is the E-300? Dell has a 2 lens kit w/ a 14-40mm and a 45-150mm for around $615. i know the usuals such as the Canon 350D and the Nikon D70 but im looking for something with less of a price shock.
  2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    My experience is with the E-1, not the E-300 but I can tell you that you should find it a satisfying experience. The colour is great and the resolution of the E-300 is better than that of the E-1 so even with the economy lenses, you should get great shots. The dust removal device is great.

Accessories are expensive still and an extra battery should be one of the first you buy. Olympus branded batteries are available at Adorama.com for $50, which is about half price.

The greatest thing about the E series is that it's legacy-free--35mm compromise does not exist.
  3. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
    I'm almost in the exact same boat as you. Expect I was wondering more about the Canon 20D instead of the 350D.

I was at a camera shop yesterday and asked if I could look at the Canon 20D. Soon after he (the salesman) ask me why I was interested in that particular camera. And I told him because I heard good things about on the internet (aka: MacRumors :D). I asked if he had a better recommendation and he brought over the Olympus E300 - which ironically my dad just bought about 2 months ago. He said both were fine cameras but one thing that really made the E300 stand out was the Supersonic Wave filter that vibrates each time you turn the camera on to eliminate any dust particles on the camera's sensor. And little did I know, but getting dust on the sensor of SLR digital camera was quite common and can make photos have little black spots on them as a result.

He also brought out the Nikon D70s. While it has less MPs than the other two (6MP vs. 8MP) he said he's printed 11x14s with a 3MP digital camera that turned out nice. Has to do with the way you take the photo he said.

Nonetheless, I've been reading really good things about Canon here on the forums and other sites. I don't really like the E300 aesthetically compared to the others - course it's about the way the photo looks anyways.

But the salesman did say that the E300 is a very good camera and was on the best sellers they had.

I guess one question I would have is, is getting a dust on the sensor of a digital SLR really common?
  4. ScubaDuc macrumors 6502

Aug 7, 2003
    Regardless which camera you get, make sure you have image stabilization. Nikon calls it VR, Canon IS and Olymus, I do not know. What I know is that it ads a lot to the price of the lens so you may be better off whith a Coolpix 8800 which inludes a 10 times zoom and VR. Also, look at the CCD size. Bigger CCDs give better images, it is not only about pixels. One of my favorite is the Lumix FZ20 with the Leica 2.8 lens and 12x which gives a wapping 420 mm for wildlife pics. A 14 mm will have to be multipied by the 1.5 factor so you are getting more like a 20 to 200 in 35 mm terms, if you can sacrifice a bit on the wide angle side, the Leica Zoom is exceptional, with very little vignetting and the nikon is not bad either, although the coolpix is slower in writing.

You van always have the dust on the CCD cleaned....I am not sure a vibrating CCD would be my first buying criteria
  5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Dust is common for any SLR but with film, you're always exchanging it so there is less of a chance for dust to affect it, even as you change lenses. Obviously, you don't remove the sensor of a digital camera and those with interchangeable lenses invite dust.
  6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    I just got in in July and i love the camera, takes amazing pictures. Highly recommend it to others...
    I got it from cameta camera but i got it from their actual store in NY....
    attached are some pictures i took today... the two pictures of ducks (2nd and 3rd picture) show how great the 10x zoom is!!! ( i had to scale the pictures down to fit, but if u want i'll email you a sample of the full picture just let me know... )

Attached Files:

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I have some of my photos from the E1 at http://photo.epson.com/ and all you need to do to see them is to enter bousozoku@bellsouth.net as the e-mail address. The full resolution JPEGs were uploaded so you can see the full 5 MP quality. Obviously, they 8 MP sensor will be better at full strength.