omega 3 and depression

Discussion in 'Community' started by indifference, Nov 8, 2004.

1. indifference macrumors regular

Anyone know about omega 3 and depression? I hear there is some new work being done showing that omega 3 and fish oil can help? -n

Washington Post

Omega 3

2. commonpeople macrumors regular

If you suffer from depression then the best thing to do is visit your doctor and ask about whether antidepressents would help. There have been some studies on Omega 3 fatty acids showing some promising results, but I wouldn't bet your mental health on swallowing a ton of cod liver oil capsules every day.

3. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

hey i was just saying that this may help with depression. Not that I have any issues. -n

4. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Well you would be supprised how many people are on anti-depressants. I think 10% of the UK population is.

5. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

the real issue with depression is figuring out WHY you are depressed.

say i after having been all my life depressed untill about 2 months ago (that is nearly 30 years of life) when i figured out WHY i was that. so i did know a lot of things that helped it .. but there generally is a REASON why you are down, and medicating it without resolving the real issue in the life isn't the solution .. except for modern medicine which sees the human body far too much as a mechanical entity where to replace broken parts instead of wondering why did it get broken again ...

6. mcat macrumors newbie

Omega 3 Info

You may want to check out The Omege3 RX Zone (I think that's the title) by Barry Sears.

7. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Unless it's due to your neurotransmitters not functioning properly, and is actually biologically rooted. But I do agree that there's a lot of treating symptoms rather than the causes going around...it's a lot easier to pop a pill than to really deal with one's major issues.

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

That's a lovely idea, but it totally ignores clinical depression, which is, as rueyeet said, an actual chemical imbalance. Too many people have your attitude about their own depression, trying through "thinking positive" or "prayer" to overcome it, which is like trying to overcome cancer through the same methods. While a lot of people right now are medicated that shouldn't be, there are a lot of people that should be that aren't.

So while isolating the problem is an option for some people, it's not a cure-all. by a long shot. People suffering from depression should seek medical aid, as it's often too overwhelming to deal with yourself. And that doesn't necessarily mean they're going to put you on antidepressants... there are many causes of depression and a doctor/therapist can help find the cause.

Omega-3 acids may be a future treatment option for some. Future being the key word.

paul

9. winwintoo macrumors 6502

I've been taking Omega-3 in the form of flax-seed oil for several years in addition to the other forms of treatment (I don't need any more advice thank you) for major depression.

In my case, it works to squelch the mind-chatter.

It is promising as a treatment and I hope the research proves it.

Margaret

10. acidrock macrumors 6502

I have some links to companies online that would be good organic names if you'd be interested, later today I will post them. This is a good alternative though, does anyone know how new this treatment is?

11. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Not that you should really trust Prozac and like either as they have been shown to cause suicide amongst teenagers and are often just a patch.

12. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I've been taking it for 6 months now to counter act the midnight milk and cookies. I haven't noticed better skin or a brighter outlook. Just hoping my risk of heart clog is lower.

13. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

What did you guys think of the reports on NPR about when the children would say, "Medication saved my life." "Medication made me become soicidle?" They ran over the summer last summer. I could post some links on NPR's website if you're interested.