OMFG, I feel physically ill...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kingsly, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I was redoing my XP partition and bootcamp failed with "unable to verify Mac HD, please start from the OSX CD and run disk utility"

Now, normally I would just back up everything and reinstall OSX (to be on the safe side) but I am leaving town Wednesday and not only need al my software and documents, but a computer I can trust not to break down on me! Right now, I don't have either.
    What should I do? Is verification serious?

2. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

[Physically restrains self from making comment about using Boot Camp]

Do what the prompt tells you to do. Don't use a sledgehammer to kill a fly, by reformatting your HD. That's not effective.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, try running fsck until it makes no changes to your file system. :)

4. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Oddly, neither fsck nor disk utility found anything wrong with my HDD. The problem started with Windows doing some weird stuff. Every time install shield (what a stupid name) launched it gave me some crazy error and restarting brought me into a BIOS boot selector screen. :eek: I figured the best way to fix a Windows problem is to delete it and start over (gotta love microsoft!)

Long story short, I think my meddling in terminal to rename the fracking partition .windows HD (to make it disappear off the desktop) somehow messed it up. Deleting the parition and starting over gave the original error, but once I ran 'diskutil verify' and 'fsck' my Mac returned to its happy self... seemingly on its own. Windows is back on, and things are working again! (for now ;) )

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Glad it's all good to go. As SC68Cal implied though, remember that Boot Camp is in beta so if you're relying on this machine then keep good backups and be wary. Have fun on your trip. :)

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

and BootCamp or not, renaming any folder on Mac OSX that you didn't create yourself .... is looking for trouble.

7. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Yeah, I kind of learned that the hard way. :rolleyes:

With my shiny new FW HDD I'll be sure to keep backups. Know of any good (free) b/up utilities?