Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
Originally posted by caveman_uk
Then again they pay £5 for a beer. Swings and roundabouts really;)

good point!

I pay £35 for 1mbit/s downstream and 256kbit/s upstream - is that 26mbit/s BOTH WAYS?!?

GulGnu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2003
Originally posted by mrjamin
good point!

I pay £35 for 1mbit/s downstream and 256kbit/s upstream - is that 26mbit/s BOTH WAYS?!?

Yes, it's 26Mbit both ways.

Regards / GulGnu

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
Originally posted by GulGnu
Yes, it's 26Mbit both ways.

Regards / GulGnu

chuuuuuuuff. You could host a low traffic server on a connection like that! Is there a bandwidth limitation? i'm restricted to 10gb a month each way apparently. Having said that, i've blatantly used more than that since i got my 1mb line

MacBandit

macrumors 604
chuuuuuuuff. You could host a low traffic server on a connection like that! Is there a bandwidth limitation? i'm restricted to 10gb a month each way apparently. Having said that, i've blatantly used more than that since i got my 1mb line

With 26Mbit you could be your own ISP hosting at least 26 people with a limitation of 1.5Mbit. Since not all 26 people would probably ever be on at the same time and using all their bandwidth.

I pay $56 a month for a cable modem that gets about 2Mbit down and 256Kb/s up. just think 26x $50= $1300 a month.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand

Yeah, I've got a 10 gig limit too, fortunately I've only exceeded it once. It's quite expensive here - £20 a month for 128 kb/s both ways with the 10 gig limit. Exceed the 10 gigs and it's £0.07 per meg. Or pay another £10 for another 10 gigs.

I just discovered that converting NZ$ to £ is easier than NZ$ to US$ :)

GulGnu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2003

There is one thing to keep in mind though - in order to get 26 mbit both ways, you need to be reasonably close to a telephone switch / base station. As you get too far away from the base station, data transfer rate drops off, down to 8 mbit / sec both directions when you get more than a kilometer away from the base station.

Regards / GulGnu

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by GulGnu
There is one thing to keep in mind though - in order to get 26 mbit both ways, you need to be reasonably close to a telephone switch / base station. As you get too far away from the base station, data transfer rate drops off, down to 8 mbit / sec both directions when you get more than a kilometer away from the base station.

Regards / GulGnu

I'd still kill for 8Mbit. You don't know anyone who has it do you? I'm feelin a little homicidle. Nah, just kiddin. I do really really want it though. Especially since it's cheaper then what I have now.

Porshuh944turbo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2003
Originally posted by zarathustra
I love the US of A, but when it comes to cell phones, DSL and other advanced tech products, we always seem a few months if not years behind...

I got 1.5 mbit DSL for $30 - which is not bad, but it isnt 100 mbit for $50! Not fair! :( :( :( :p

Thisi s because of marketting.. If we had this service in US.. all the business would sell thier T1 lines (1.5mb up and down) and buy these $50/mo lines... Since current leases on T1s are like $700/mo & up.. it makes sense for companies to not sell superfast lines for $50 a month...

Porshuh944turbo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2003
Originally posted by iShater
Quit yer whinin! I've got squat! I can't get broadband if I gave a kidney for it, stupid SBC/Ameritech screwed me over for the last 5 years!!

"We will be rolling it out in your area in the next few months." ... that was 5 years ago! I moved like 3 or 4 times, and every place, either their COs didn't have the equipment, or (like my current situation) their network link to my neighborhood can't handle dsl! :mad:

This is because SBC is getting screwed by smaller companies being able to lease all lines from them at lower cost than it takes to maintain the lines! SBC is getting ripped off and not being able to make money on their own lines because of this... so they don't have the budget to build out to more neighborhoods (like yours) becuase if they do, then the other companies get first pick at how many lines they want to lease (for less than it costs to keep them working)

new legislations is being written to fix this... hopefully it will pass so more of us can get dsl and so the network will grow to our neighborhoods.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Originally posted by Nermal
Yeah, I've got a 10 gig limit too, fortunately I've only exceeded it once. It's quite expensive here - £20 a month for 128 kb/s both ways with the 10 gig limit. Exceed the 10 gigs and it's £0.07 per meg. Or pay another £10 for another 10 gigs.

I just discovered that converting NZ$ to £ is easier than NZ$ to US$ :)
The biggest cable supplier in the UK (NTL) charges £18 for 150K, £25 for 600K and £35 for 1Mb/s. They recently introduced capping at 1GB a day but say they won't get worried unless you exceed that more than 3 days in a 14 day period. Apparently though since they started capping they haven't disconnected anyone or increased anyones charges so quite why they suffered all the bad PR of introducing capping then doing nothing about it is a bit odd.

The more mathematical amongst you will note that 1GB is 2.5 hrs on a 1MB connection. I used to be on 1MB but downgraded to 600K. It wasn't worth the extra tenner with a cap.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Originally posted by Porshuh944turbo
This is because SBC is getting screwed by smaller companies being able to lease all lines from them at lower cost than it takes to maintain the lines! SBC is getting ripped off and not being able to make money on their own lines because of this... so they don't have the budget to build out to more neighborhoods (like yours) becuase if they do, then the other companies get first pick at how many lines they want to lease (for less than it costs to keep them working)

new legislations is being written to fix this... hopefully it will pass so more of us can get dsl and so the network will grow to our neighborhoods.

I have to disagree with you on this one. Ameritech used Digital Loop Carriers for tons of new development to get phone lines to new houses cheaply, those cannot carry DSL, and that is why I am currently screwed. On price, SBC can beat the competition because of bundling with the phone line, and I still can't go with them.

I had iDSL for a while, and SBC/Ameritech screwed me over so bad that I even lost that.

[Edit] It is true though, that maybe there are licensing issues, but from my experience, it is no excuse for SBC to be so frigging slow on purpose to stop the competition, they have to make the CO DSL capable, if they do they can compete with the smaller companies, but they are too slow. [/edit]

Porshuh944turbo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2003
I see your point... and you're right, they do use DLC and SLC5 systems to get out to more houses.. the eqpt for DSL (Litespan equipment) costs much more and is required at both the CO and the RT for it to work...

All I'm saying is that they would be doing this, just like they were when they announced DSL couple years back.. but since they HAVE to sell the lines to the competition for so cheap, they LOSE MONEY whenever they deploy new equipment... why would you do it if you were in charge?

I heard some numbers from a friend.. it cost like $26 to maintain a DSL line.. but they competitions can purchase it for $14. (this was on cnn too) so SBC loses $12 per line for everyone they put out there! (SBC is forced to sell them so cheap.. it's called UNE-P legislation... it sucks huge) There's just no incentive to expand anymore! Sucks I know!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.