OMG I loooove it!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by QueenMadge, Jan 26, 2006.

1. QueenMadge macrumors newbie

I am typing at my intel iMac and I love it! I have my email, documents and photos all transferred over. I had to plug in three cords and the network cable and that was it!

I am getting used to navigating and I'll have to purchase ms office to read my doc.s created in that program but I am so jazzed!

Thanks a bunch for the tips and information. I have to try and print something now.lol

Margot

2. Studawg7 macrumors regular

awesome! i am glad you are enjoying your new machine! welcome to MR

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Enjoy and make sure you back up all of your stuff. Check out the nice apps for your mac as well..

Bless

4. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Congrats on your new Mac! :D You don't need MS Office to open and view your .doc files. There are a number for free apps available on the Internet that can do just that. I use AbiWord now and then. I like it for light use, but it still doesn't beat Office. Just a suggestion!

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Text Edit should be able to open up your .doc files. just cant save to .doc

glad you're enjoy everything!

6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

when I was on the intel iMac at the Apple store, safari crashed.

3 times.

on just Gmail.

I'll wait until rev. b or c (and until I have a few grand) to get one.

I hope you enjoy yours! I think I just had bad luck with it. :)

7. p0intblank macrumors 68030

That sounds more like a software issue rather than a hardware one.

8. Fatdog macrumors newbie

Yeah, I just got a new Intel Mac Mini Core Duo yesterday (March 17) and I've noticed crashes in Safari and other programs. I'm new to Mac OS X (finally decided to get one because of the dual-boot ability) so I don't know if this is normal or there are software bugs. I hope its just teething problems from the switch to Intel. I can live with the bugs because so far, I love OS X. Can't wait for Leopard and better Intel support.

On another note, I can't believe how bloated a default install of OS X is. Garage band and other add-ons take up way too much space, especially for an 80 GB hard drive. The fresh drive was pushing 20 GBs before I deleted some applications (and their components). Is that normal? :confused:

9. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

OS X has almost every driver you will ever need pre installed. If space is ever an issue, you can delete printer driver's that you won't use and stuff. As a rule, i start to worry when i get to 20 GB, but for some that might be different.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

What websites are you visiting? Certain sites cause it to crash. HP.com is a prime example. I have to get FireFox running to see that one.

11. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

Safari has not once crashed on my 17" iMac core duo, and I got them the day they were released and use safari very often. Gmail has never given me any troubles at all.

12. Chuckles macrumors member

Chuckles

Glad you're enjoying your Mac. Now all I need to do is switch. :rolleyes:

You don't need to spend hundreds of dollars on Microsoft Word to read your documents. Open Office is literally the same thing, except free. It will read files created with Microsoft Word. You should check it out.

http://www.openoffice.org/

13. Fatdog macrumors newbie

My friend was using the computer and I think she was on myspace, photobucket and some other sites. Funny enough, HP.com works for me; I downloaded my printer drivers through it.

I think the programs that are crashing/hanging are PPC-based. I think I might just be too impatient for rosetta. Though, I've had some Universal programs hang and used force quit on them. I should probably put more memory (only 512mb) and be patient with them.

I think I'm having above normal problems. Maybe bad memory? I might re-install and if the problems continue I'll have to start looking at hardware.

14. sel1965 macrumors member

I use safari daily and have no issues with crashing what so ever. Have you tried software upgrades. I have already had one since I purchased my new mac a week and half ago.

15. Fatdog macrumors newbie

Yeah, I've only used the Software Update under the Apple Logo though. 10.4.5 Every program that I've installed is the newest version.

16. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Yeah I'm still a bit wary...I've heard the MBP's have some whine issues...plus I have to wait until a 12" or equivalent comes out. In my experience, Rev A=Bad. :D

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I should have been more specific. The site works EXCEPT the hardware configuration pages. I tried to stack some HP computers for a PC last year and Safari kept crashing on the customization pages. I just ended up using FireFox for it.

18. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I agree - Neo Office (Open Office for Mac) is great, and free. You´ll find it more easily here:

http://www.neooffice.org/

I can save as .doc by choosing Word Format in the "Save as" meny of Text Edit. I have version 1.4. I´m I missing something here? :confused:

19. Icedog macrumors member

The same thing happened to me when I tried to use gmail on safari w/ the new Intel iMac at the Apple Store.. but I haven't had a single problem since I bought it about a week ago. Best computer I've ever owned!